1. No Profile Picture
    shedder
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    Can anyone point out if there are any disadvantages of using Python as apposed to PHP for databse access, and come to think of it - CGI.
    Currently looking at doing huge project in Python. Has PHP got a widget I might regret neglecting????

3. No Profile Picture
    lrargerich
    I think Python will be best for 'Programming
    in the large' projects. What kind of project
    are you going to deal with? PHP and Mysql
    work well together but Python is a very good
    alternative. If it helps we are using PHP and
    Mysql but our new projects are going to be
    developed in Python.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are you refering to perl as CGI? Hmmm.
  7. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shedder:
    Can anyone point out if there are any disadvantages of using Python as apposed to PHP for databse access, and come to think of it - CGI.
    Currently looking at doing huge project in Python. Has PHP got a widget I might regret neglecting????

[/quote]

I have a fairly strong programming background and have been evaluating Python and Zope for the last 3 weeks. PHP would probably get you going faster but over time Python - or Zope if your site gets complex enough will allow you to do things that PHP simply is not capable of (easily). PHP and it's relations (ASP, etc.) - to me - represent the best of the last generation, Python especially with Zope on top of it is the kernal of a new generation of content distribution platforms.

9. No Profile Picture

I'm also trying to decide between PHP and Python/JPythong/Zope for database access on top of MySQL or Oracle.

I'm an experienced C and Java programmer. Could this experience lend itself to overcoming the Python/JPython/Zope "learning curve" that I'm infering from NightAngel?

2 days ago I didn't know anything about these languages/technologies. I'm trying to implement a short-term application enhancement that will probably grow way beyond the initial changes (and I'm quite excited about the long-term possibilities for this project). If PHP will significantly lend itself well for ramp-up today (eg, Paul DuBois' MySQL book has docs on PHP but not Python/Zope) so I can stave off the hungry dogs I inherited with my new project, I might go with PHP initially and budget time later to dive into Python/Zope. I may be able to gear up a team of others for this, too.

My biggest question: how can I best determine and compare short- and long-term business value for these different technolgies when I have no experience with the technologies, although I have lots of experience with other sw-development tools, processes, and languages?

The posts here appear to give very insightful direction, but it's hard for me to make a business decision based upon these notes, and I don't appear to have the time I'd like to investigate this stuff.

Would anyone be interested in talking over the phone? NightAngel?

My email: mengland@mengland.net.

Thanks for any help,
    -Matt

ps: I tried to find the Zope discussion forums on zope.org but haven't found anything yet. I *very* much like what I've seen thusfar at jpython.org and zope.org.
  11. No Profile Picture

I was wondering if you ever received any aid in this. I've been working on basically the same issues that you listed below, but I've decided to go the Python route.

PHP was my initial tool of choice last year, built some very very fast sites with it. Unfortunately it became less, and less intuitive for me when maintaining the sites, and making changes to the components within.

A couple of weeks after I found python I had completely re-written over 80% of the PHP scripts into python modules ... it helped greatly that I could write one object and reuse it simply { I KNOW there's a way to design PHP scripts so that the same effect can be achieve ( code reuse ), but it wasn't 'intuitive' for me }.

In my experience there is a slight learning curve for each component. They have modules that allow you to do nearly anything imaginable, and making changes / modifications to the source is much, much easier for me than with any of the other languages currently available.

I still haven't found out how it scales to small enterprise class ( 1,000+ simultaneous users ) that relies heavily on transaction processing. From what I've read though Java, EJB is the way to go here.

If anyone has anything on that I'd REALLY like to here it.

Thanks
    Ray
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mengland:

I'm also trying to decide between PHP and Python/JPythong/Zope for database access on top of MySQL or Oracle.

I'm an experienced C and Java programmer. Could this experience lend itself to overcoming the Python/JPython/Zope "learning curve" that I'm infering from NightAngel?

2 days ago I didn't know anything about these languages/technologies. I'm trying to implement a short-term application enhancement that will probably grow way beyond the initial changes (and I'm quite excited about the long-term possibilities for this project). If PHP will significantly lend itself well for ramp-up today (eg, Paul DuBois' MySQL book has docs on PHP but not Python/Zope) so I can stave off the hungry dogs I inherited with my new project, I might go with PHP initially and budget time later to dive into Python/Zope. I may be able to gear up a team of others for this, too.

My biggest question: how can I best determine and compare short- and long-term business value for these different technolgies when I have no experience with the technologies, although I have lots of experience with other sw-development tools, processes, and languages?

The posts here appear to give very insightful direction, but it's hard for me to make a business decision based upon these notes, and I don't appear to have the time I'd like to investigate this stuff.

Would anyone be interested in talking over the phone? NightAngel?

My email: mengland@mengland.net.

Thanks for any help,
    -Matt

ps: I tried to find the Zope discussion forums on zope.org but haven't found anything yet. I *very* much like what I've seen thusfar at jpython.org and zope.org.
    [/quote]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo