Thread: MySQL Sucks?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

MySQL Sucks?

Just curiuos if anyone has used MYsql with python and encountered any problems. I was recently pointed here where they individuals were none to happy with it. I'd like to use a datbase on my site and i'm curious as to which one to use. Thank you all.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
    But, in practice, there is."

3. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Pythons DBI could be easier i admit but i've never had a problem with MySQL and Python so it's all good. Another DB you might be interested in is SQLite or maybe even PostgreSQL, but MySQL is a great choice for webapps in general!

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't know about MySQL but PostgreSQL & Python works beautifully with psycopg and with pyPgSql.
  7. onCsdfeu

Say some guy (e.g. me) wants to try some DB programming with Python. Which one's the best and/or simplest ?
    Time is the greatest of teachers ; sadly, it kills all of its students.
    - Hector Berlioz
  9. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Actually, this question has very little to do with python and more to do with mysql really. Mysql is great for database lookups -- the speed is simply amazing. So, if you have a lot of prepopulated data that you want to search for results quickly, this is the engine for you. However, if you do insert or update data a lot, then there is (or at least was) a tendency for the database to get corrupted, especially if the size of the database gets large. This happens irrespective of the programming language used. They might have fixed those bugs in recent versions though. However, for industrial strength applications that have a lot of transactions and require replication and triggers and stuff, we use MS SQL Server (sorry guys, not everything I use is free software ). Yes, I know mysql now provides some of these features, but SQL Server is still a lot more flexible for our needs.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo