1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

newb: Basic examples don't work Tkinter not found

I am very confused, according to all tutorials, this should just work....

from Tkinter import *
    root = Tk()
    w = Label(root, text="Hello, world!")
    w.pack()
    root.mainloop()

Instead, the import of Tkinter is never found. I run python -V which tells me it is version 2.2.2. rpm -q python tells me 2.2.2-26.

What in the world is wrong? This is on a common install of redhat linux(I think 8.0 or 9.0). Thanks for any help here.
    dean
  3. No Profile Picture

ok .... first of all you got tkinter?

this will help you to check it
  5. No Profile Picture

guess I don't have tkinter, but I read that came with python automatically. All I have done is install redhat 9 and inspected it to work. Is there a tkinter download out there, I keep running in circles on the web downloading junk that I don't know how to install. very frustrated here.
  7. No Profile Picture

ahhhh, this is killing me. I install python2.3.4 instead. still not working. I try that link you tell me about. it says Edit Modules/Setup but how do I do that. I don't see any other info related to that. I see something about some environment variable needing to be set, but not what the value should be. I am completely lost. Why is there not some step by step documentation somewhere on this(I have been everywhere looking for some). All I was trying to do to start with was install and run viewCvs...this is becoming my nightmare. please help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo