1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Newbie Questions

OK

thing is like that...I'd like to beggin to program...for star the Python will be super...but I have the offical Python tutorial...I made some examples...a few... but what can I 'realy' do with Python?can anybody tell me what can I do with python some sort of program or whatever??oh and I have winXP...

and how to start?!?!I mean when you are trying to make a web site...<head>....and so on how???can anyfoy pinpoint some programs or somethin that I can see on what and how it works?

I need to tell you that I am a total newbie so please be ready for some crazy posts...

thx for time to read all this

oh and <edit>:

please tell me what to do to become fluent in Python....need some help....a lot of help and SORRY for newbie like me open new g33k post like this....sorry all....need help thats all
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I'm no teacher or expert, but I've seen quite a few threads around the internet of people asking where they can start with various programming languages, and all the answers really say is:

You can't start until you have something to do.

Imagine saying "I want to use LEGO, where do I start?". LEGO is little bricks you put together to build whatever you want, where you start for a house or a castle is different from a car or a monster.

or "I want to design a vehicle, where do I start?". Start with what it needs to do - carry two people over mud and water? Carry 8 people over tarmac roads? Carry two hundred people over the ocean?

but what can I 'realy' do with Python?can anybody tell me what can I do with python some sort of program or whatever?
    Er, almost anything you can see a computer doing could be done in Python. Editing files, grabbing data from the internet, poking at databases, interacting with the user, drawing pictures, taking screenshots, using COM automation to insert them into Word documents, zipping up the resulting files, uploading them to an FTP site on a schedule, making a dynamic webpage to reflect the latest documents, using a web service to make them available to download in new ways...

If I had great ideas in this area I'd be busy creating them and becoming rich...

and how to start?!?!I mean when you are trying to make a web site...<head>....and so on how???
    But what then? You have a <head>, but what do you put in it?
    A table? A picture? A form for feedback? Some news? Some bold text? It depends what the site is about and who it's for.

1) Load something like www.wxpython.org or Python Win32 extensions (PythonWin) and get a good shell. Play with Python from the interactive shell.

Once you get some experience (by following tutorials - Bruce Eckel's ThinkCSPy is neat) and testing what they tell you, by trial and error, exploration and fun) then it becomes easier to see how to build bigger programs.

I don't know, start by creating a string, an integer, do some maths and print the results, create a function and a list and a dictionary, read from a file, ask the user what their name is, put that in a file...

use dir() on a string and an int, a list and a dictionary and test all the things it returns to find out what they do and how they work.

Code:
    >>> "this is a string"
    'this is a string'
    >>> 2
    >>> 2+2
    >>> "2+2"
    >>> x = "a string"
    >>> len(x)
    >>> dir(x)
    ... (I've cut this out) ...
    >>> x.endswith("ing")
    True
    >>> x.startswith("herring")
    False
    >>>
    explore!
    It's far more fun than writing proper software with error checking and a pleasant interface.

can anyfoy pinpoint some programs or somethin that I can see on what and how it works?
    Read some more of this forum, there's a lot of code posted around the place that's worth looking at.

please tell me what to do to become fluent in Python
    Use it. The more you use it the more it sticks in memory. The more you find out, the more ways of solving problems you find, and the easier it gets.
  5. A wanna-be guru of some sort
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

You might wanna read this: http://forums.devshed.com/t203670/s.html
  7. Commie Mutant Traitor
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

A few small (and not-so-small) suggestions:

• Read as much as you can stand of the Jargon File. Then read some more. Then read it again until it all makes perfect sense to you. This is general advice which I give all programmers.
    • Read as much existing code as you can. It will help you get an idea of the common idioms and practices, as well as giving you plenty of examples of what not to do. The Python language page has links to a great many examples.
    • Read some Programming Chrestomathy pages. These will give you some idea of how other languages compare to Python.
    • Write some simple console games such as tic-tac-toe, nim, or the Animal Guessing Game. Games are good in that there are always more things to add to them. Over time try writing more complex games such as Go, Chess, or maybe some video games such as Pac-Man or Breakout (there is an excellent video game library available for Python).
    • Write versions of some of the simpler Unix utilities, such as cat(1), wc(1), dc(1) or more(1)
    • Write a program to convert arabic numerals into Roman numerals and back
    • write a calendar generator
    • implement a version of the Eliza program (not a small project, but pretty well known, and something that can be built up and elaborated on over time)
    • Find a copy of some of A.K. Dewdney's books. These have several fun programs to experiment with, and a lot of information in general. The articles on Game of Life, fractals and Core Wars are of particular interest, though I should warn you that these topics have become obsessions for some programmers...
    • try looking up a list of old BASIC games and programs (such as this one) for a lot of examples, and try implementing them in Python.
    • find some task you do regularly on your computer and write a Python script to automate it. Just because you're learning doesn't mean it has to all be Ars Gratia Artis, after all.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thx!

I vill do my best!!

thx!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo