1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

nOOb: GUI enviroment to program python appz

I have tried all kinds of ways to find out if there is a program
    out there that allows you to program python in an enviroment kinda like visual basic. Does anyone know if this can be done and where I can get such a thing.

ps. im using windows..
    tnx
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Boa Constructor?
    Haven't tried it or Visual Basic though, so I might be off.
    Good web hosting info - articles about web hosting
    hb's web dev blog
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Do u mean that python can be integrated with vb?
    As for boa constructor I have tried it but theres not much
    of a GUI there or Im just plain stupid
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I meant that I have never programmed a line of Visual Basic so I don't really know what the VB programming environment looks like. Just imagined it would be close to Boa Constructor.
    Good web hosting info - articles about web hosting
    hb's web dev blog
  9. Contributing User

If you're asking if you can make GUI's in python,then yes its possible with Tkinter or WxPython.Either of these will allow you to make GUI's for your python code.

If you're asking for something to convert VB code into Python code(or vice versa) then maybe VB2PY or VB2PYGUI might help.I haven't used either,so I couldn't tell ya how well they work,if at all.I'm no expert,but I would imagine this is probably as close you will get to integrating the 2 languages,since they are so different.Again, I'M A NOOB,so I could be wrong...
    It is not important if the glass is half full or half empty.What is important,is who has been drinking from MY glass?!?!?
  11. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Probably the closest your going to get to the VB environment (which addmitadly i havn't used either) is the pyQT toolkits designer although this isn't free anymore where wxPython and Tk are.

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/

Hope this helps,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by bogaa
    Do u mean that python can be integrated with vb?
    You can create COM components with Python that can be called from VB. This enables you to create GUIs using VB and do all the real work in Python. Creating COM components is a fairly advanced topic though - if you plan on taking this route I recommend the book 'Python Programming on Win32' by Hammond and Robinson.

Originally Posted by bogaa
    As for boa constructor I have tried it but theres not much
    of a GUI there or Im just plain stupid
    What do you mean by 'not much of a GUI'? There is a text editor, debugger and a GUI builder/property editor that lets you do pretty much all the things you can do in VB. There is even support for the BicycleRepairman code refactorer. Did you work through the tutorial? If you are going to use Boa Constructor you really need to get the latest version from Sourceforge CVS, since the released bundles are way out of date. It is also still very much a work in progress so there are some rough edges and parts of it are poorly documented, if at all.

There are several other GUI builders/IDEs for Python, including commercial ones such as wxDesigner, and free ones such as wxGlade.

Dave - The Developers' Coach

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo