Thread: Noob help

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Noob help

I am a noob at programming and am starting my first structured class in the fall. in preparation I am trying to work through some simple problems. when in the command prompt screen I get things going and if I make an error or hit enter it runs. I cannot go back and delete or fix anything. I have to start over. this is rather tedious to retype most of the stuff done correctly because of a small error. is there a way to go back delete or fix the lines? or am I just SOL.

Thank you in advance for your support and help.
    Hawes
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Typically you can hit the up arrow to recall previous lines that you've typed and edit them. If you want to seriously work on something with many lines, just create a file and write it as a script.

Another option would be to use something like ipython, which can give you a nice GUI or browser-based shell. Very nice for playing around with code.
  5. No Profile Picture

[QUOTE=admoore]Typically you can hit the up arrow to recall previous lines that you've typed and edit them. If you want to seriously work on something with many lines, just create a file and write it as a script.

Do you know any free python shells that support the latest 3.3 version? i am having trouble with the python IDLE program due to firewall restrictions.
    thanks
    Hawes
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

[QUOTE=Hawes]
    Originally Posted by admoore
    Typically you can hit the up arrow to recall previous lines that you've typed and edit them. If you want to seriously work on something with many lines, just create a file and write it as a script.

Do you know any free python shells that support the latest 3.3 version? i am having trouble with the python IDLE program due to firewall restrictions.
    thanks
    Hawes
    Ipython supports 3.3, as does the default python shell. I don't know why you'd have problems getting IDLE because of a firewall; it should be included in Python.
  9. No Profile Picture

[QUOTE=admoore]
    Originally Posted by Hawes

Ipython supports 3.3, as does the default python shell. I don't know why you'd have problems getting IDLE because of a firewall; it should be included in Python.
    I may have installed it incorrectly. there were a few options but I was not sure which one to choose so I kinda made an educated guess.

Hawes
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

[QUOTE=Hawes]
    Originally Posted by admoore

I may have installed it incorrectly. there were a few options but I was not sure which one to choose so I kinda made an educated guess.

Hawes
    What OS are you on and from where did you download Python?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo