Thread: Parse .m3u file

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Parse .m3u file

I am trying to read through this .m3u file:

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:161,Murderers - John Frusciante
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/John Frusciante/To Record Only Water For Ten Days/07 Murderers.m4a
    #EXTINF:255,Clutter - Ronald Jenkees
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ronald Jenkees/Ronald Jenkees/04 Clutter.mp3
    #EXTINF:258,We Get High - Logic
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Compilations/Young Sinatra_ Undeniable/12 We Get High.mp3
    #EXTINF:274,6 A kiss - Bad Meets Evil
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Bad Meets Evil/Helll - The Sequel/6 A kiss.m4a
    #EXTINF:237,Track 11 -
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/11 Track 11.m4a
    #EXTINF:466,Pledge Allegiance (Feat. Rick - T.I.
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/T.I_/No Mercy/19 Pledge Allegiance (Feat. Rick.mp3
    #EXTINF:209,Track 08 -
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/08 Track 08.m4a
    #EXTINF:261,Time of My Life - Macy Gray
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Compilations/8 Mile/09 Time of My Life.mp3
    #EXTINF:276,Empire State Of Mind (Featuring Alicia Keys) - Jay-Z
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Jay-Z/The Blueprint 3/05 Empire State Of Mind (Featuring Alicia Keys).mp3
    #EXTINF:222,The Killers / When You Were Young - The Killers
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/The Killers/Greatest Hits/1-03 The Killers _ When You Were Young.mp3
    #EXTINF:210,You Wish - Nightmares On Wax
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Nightmares On Wax/In A Space Outta Sound/06 You Wish.m4a
    #EXTINF:199,Connect For - Common Market
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Common Market/Common Market/04 Connect For 1.mp3
    #EXTINF:321,Moretime - Nightmares On Wax
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Nightmares On Wax/Thought So.._/07 Moretime.mp3
    #EXTINF:469,Blame Game (feat. John Legend) - Kanye West
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Kanye West/My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy/11 Blame Game (feat. John Legend).mp3

I would like each line to be read into a list as separate elements.

Code:
    print m3u.readline()
    Outputs:
    /Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Kanye West/My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy/11 Blame Game (feat. John Legend).mp3

Code:
    print m3u.readlines()
    Outputs:
    ['#EXTM3U\r#EXTINF:161,Murderers - John Frusciante\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/John Frusciante/To Record Only Water For Ten Days/07 Murderers.m4a\r#EXTINF:255,Clutter - Ronald Jenkees\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ronald Jenkees/Ronald Jenkees/04 Clutter.mp3\r#EXTINF:258,We Get High - Logic\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Compilations/Young Sinatra_ Undeniable/12 We Get High.mp3\r#EXTINF:274,6 A kiss - Bad Meets Evil\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Bad Meets Evil/Helll - The Sequel/6 A kiss.m4a\r#EXTINF:237,Track 11 - \r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/11 Track 11.m4a\r#EXTINF:466,Pledge Allegiance (Feat. Rick - T.I.\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/T.I_/No Mercy/19 Pledge Allegiance (Feat. Rick.mp3\r#EXTINF:209,Track 08 - \r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/08 Track 08.m4a\r#EXTINF:261,Time of My Life - Macy Gray\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Compilations/8 Mile/09 Time of My Life.mp3\r#EXTINF:276,Empire State Of Mind (Featuring Alicia Keys) - Jay-Z\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Jay-Z/The Blueprint 3/05 Empire State Of Mind (Featuring Alicia Keys).mp3\r#EXTINF:222,The Killers / When You Were Young - The Killers\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/The Killers/Greatest Hits/1-03 The Killers _ When You Were Young.mp3\r#EXTINF:210,You Wish - Nightmares On Wax\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Nightmares On Wax/In A Space Outta Sound/06 You Wish.m4a\r#EXTINF:199,Connect For - Common Market\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Common Market/Common Market/04 Connect For 1.mp3\r#EXTINF:321,Moretime - Nightmares On Wax\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Nightmares On Wax/Thought So.._/07 Moretime.mp3\r#EXTINF:469,Blame Game (feat. John Legend) - Kanye West\r/Users/Administrator/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Kanye West/My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy/11 Blame Game (feat. John Legend).mp3\r']

Where are the extra characters coming from? Are there no newline characters at the end of the lines to let python know that they actually are separate lines?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

This may be close enough to what you need.

Code:
    import pprint

with open('a') as INF:
        MUSIC_FILES = [LINE.strip() for LINE in INF.readlines() if not LINE.startswith('#')]

pprint.pprint(MUSIC_FILES)
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo