1. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Porpuses of Python

I've been reading the Python documentation, and trying figure out whether to try it out or not. I'm puzzled about the fact that Python is a interpreted OOP language, meaning that it basicly is a scripting language. Still, for what I've been reading, Python is used to create standalone applications. There has been sections covering the use of it to make CGI scripts, but that's not what I'm intrested in. I wanted to make a clafication about the porpuses of Python; do you use GTK to make the Python scripts standalone or how is it basicly done?
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  3. Big Endian
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

When compared to another language, Python is most often compared to Perl. The majority of things you can do in one language you can do in the other as well. Most people agree that the syntax of Python is easier to understand. Also that the OO features of Python are easier to use.

If you have time, you might want to read this Linux Journal article:
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=3882

I'm not a Python expert. I've used Perl more. Learning Python is one of the (many) items on my to-do list. Hopefully these links will help answer some of your questions.
  5. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Thumbs up Graditude

Thank you dcaillouet. Your intro and links were indeed very helpful
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  7. No Profile Picture
    graphics monkey
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Actually, I really don't like Python's syntax, and I think its harder to read. I like having brackets around my function bodies and I like having semicolons to indicate the end of a line -- its so much harder to figure out whats going just based on "well this line is indented more than this line" or "here's some whitespace". Its just not very structured, and that leads to a lot of annoying errors.
    Brian
  9. No Profile Picture
    Python Prophet
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally posted by spackbace
    Actually, I really don't like Python's syntax, and I think its harder to read. I like having brackets around my function bodies and I like having semicolons to indicate the end of a line -- its so much harder to figure out whats going just based on "well this line is indented more than this line" or "here's some whitespace". Its just not very structured, and that leads to a lot of annoying errors.
    I guess you should stick to Perl or Ruby then.
    Although it does take some getting used to, overall it's easier and faster. Because there are only minimal differences in coding style, most programs are easier to read. Also this takes up much less screen space, which is a valuable thing.

Take a look here for the reasons why GvR chose this style.
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think I know, I'll use regular expressions. Now they have two problems. - Jamie Zawinski, in comp.lang.emacs

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo