1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

need a very portable GUI library

need a library that works with C++ and Python (and preferable PHP), on Linux and Windows.

Must have good docs available, especially a book or two.

I'm looking at GTK+.

Anything better?
  3. No Profile Picture

Have you taken a look at wxPython, it's a very good multiplatform GUI library. It uses GTK+ under Linux and (I think) the native GUI under Windows.
  5. No Profile Picture

Have you used Tkinter at all? I have found Tkinter to be much easier to use than wxPython, and I think it's a lot better for developing GUIs. It all depends on how complex your app is going to be though, but I have had great success with Tkinter, and it ports over to Linux just fine.
  7. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

TK is ok, definatly easier to learn than most of the other GUI kits out there but, tends to be pretty slow in comparison. wxPython is a definat must see but i have to suggest PyQT which i havn't used myself but for those familiar with VB's way of doign GUI work, (i believe) Using QT's designer you can drag and drop components onto your GUI, simple as, PyQT is also faster than TK in most cases! Check em out

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/index.php

Have fun,
    Mark.
  9. Introspective
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

QT?
    This is me: http://chris.uk.com
  11. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Yeah PyQT Pythons bindings for QT. Don't ask me what it stands for. I dont know too much about it telex is the one to ask about QT but i know it can be run on Windows and Linux etc . And that it is very powerful.

Take care,
    Mark.
  13. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I'd say wxWindows or PyQt or Gtk2. All three powerful and cross-platform, though as far as I know Qt only has a commercial port for Windows at the moment, so perhaps Gtk or wxWindows would be a better option. It's a shame because I definitely prefer Qt.

Oh, and a wxWindows GUI can, without any more coding, use the Gtk toolkit, making it quite attractive

I wouldn't use Tk... I've only used it for learning purposes and simple applications.

One thing you should do is work out what kinds of widgets you will require, and then look at the toolkits, since they are all slightly different in that regard, and you don't want to get stuck into a Gtk project only to find that the feature you want to code really needs Qt...
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the response guys!

Actually I'm going with GTK+ and Glade.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo