1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Non-Programmer Question

Hi

I'm new to the forum and not a developer.

I'm reasearching the best way to implement a data transformation hardware/software application, and from what I have learned so far I think Python running on Linux may be the best option.

I'm looking for some advice on whether Python would be the most appropriate language to develop the following application.

Software to capture and process an incoming printer data stream (legacy printer language), running on embedded pc, with dual LAN ports.

1. ASCII datastream received on LAN port1 from legacy host computer system. Software component needed to capture incoming data to a text file.

2. Software application developed in Python?? to automatically convert the captured text file to automaticall create pdf files using pre-defined PDF template files.

3. Automatically route the newly-created pdf files through LAN port 2 to a LAN printer

Obviously there's a lot of detail missing from this description, but I'm just try to narrow down the options before approaching someone to undertake the development work.

Any insights/guidance would be appreciated

Regards

Rob
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

code development is much quicker for those who write python than for those who write in many other languages.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo