Thread: Pyhon Based OS

1. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Pyhon Based OS

I was thinking about what it would be like if I created an operating system with Python. I like the idea of doing so, of course I would not attempt this for a couple of years, not until I am very experienced with tasks such as this, but I would like feedback on if this would be a good idea and if it would work out correctly. What I pictured would be a basic operating system created from Python with limited features (until time went on and I added newer features), but still has the functionality to startup correctly when the computer turns on. I can't think of why Python couldn't accomplish this job, but I'm sure there are some reasons why it would not be a good idea. Any feedback is fine.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by †Yegg†
    I was thinking about what it would be like if I created an operating system with Python
    http://unununium.org/... rather them than me ;-)

-OH.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

technickly, as python is, it is impossibel to write a hole kernel out of it. I said technickly. Like what ununumium does, is it made the lower kernel and such with asm and c(like most os do) then based the rest of the system on python as much as possible. Witch is probably what you will end up doing.

but even if you do figure out a way to compile python to a form that can be loaded into a system and have python access all those low parts and handle everything, the kernel will still in reality be writin in c, the underlining code of python. It just presented in a diff form.

I personly do not think it would be worth all the trouble to figure out how to write a kernel in python(boy is that something crazy to think about), the kernel is ment to be very low in the os and handle the system as it sees fit, it has full control. Where python as of now doesn't really have that kind of control possible. Unless you write something in c or asm for it.

The idea of making the rest of the system out of python is a bit more realistic. Python is pretty nice and could be a good concept. Much like unununium.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo