1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

pySerial .readline() help

Hello,

I am writing a Python v3.6.0 program on a Windows PC that takes an input from the Serial port and then parses the input, and replies on the Serial port based on the input.

I tied COM1 and COM2 together. My Python script running is connected to COM1 and the Arduino serial monitor connected to COM2. I am using the pySerial library's command ".readline()" to send the serial communication bytes to my Python script.

According to the pySerial docs. the .readline() command will return a string after it receives a '\n' character. However, when I send a string of text through the Arduino serial port monitor without a newline character at the end of it, the .readline() method returns that string. If I do send a string with a newline character, the newline character does get sent with the string to the rest of my script from the .readline() method.

Does anyone know why how the .readline() method knows to return the 'line' even though there is no newline character at the end of it?

Code:
    import serial

ser = serial.Serial(port='COM1', baudrate=9600, timeout=0)  # open serial port 
    print("port opened on " + ser.name)

def waiting():
    while(1):
    parse_serial_port(ser.readline()) #this returns after strings are sent via the Arduino Serial Port monitor even without a newline character
    Documentation for the pySerial library: Short introduction — pySerial 3.2.1 documentation

Thanks,
    Alex
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

timeout=0 should return any character(s) immediately. Check the serial docs to be sure.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by dwblas
    timeout=0 should return any character(s) immediately. Check the serial docs to be sure.
    I think that's true for .read(), but for .readline() command it says that it waits for a '\n' character forever without a timeout specified (the default is timeout=0).
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You did not say what happened when you tried increasing the timeout's value. We do not know what parse_serial_port() does so there is no way to debug any further.
  9. No Profile Picture

When I increased the timeout, it seemed to add a delay to how fast it responds. When I do send bytes over, all the bytes are received and parsed as expected. When I type multiple characters and then hit 'send' on the Arduino serial monitor the python script parses all the characters as if they were one string. If I send one character at a time it bunches up all the characters that came through in the last 2 second window.

When I don't send anything the text "Nothing happened" gets printed every ~2 seconds as expected. Here is the code for the parse_serial_port function:

Code:
    def parse_serial_port(line):
    	outgoing = b'' #set this to null so we can check if something happend
    	if(line == b''):
    		print("Nothing happened")
    		return
    	print("incoming: ", end="")
    	print(line + b'', end="")
    	if(line == b'RF'):
    		outgoing = line + b'0000 0000*\r\n'
    		ser.write(outgoing)
    	if(line == b'MG'):
    		outgoing = line + b'0000 0000*\r\n'
    		ser.write(outgoing)
    	if(line == b'RM'):
    		outgoing = line + b'6 000111 0 0 1' + b'1'
    		# outgoing = b'6 000011 0 0 0 RM0000 0000*\r\n' 6 000011 0 0 0 
    		outgoing += b'\r\n'
    		ser.write(outgoing)
    	if(line == b'N1'):
    		outgoing = b'N1*\r\n'
    		ser.write(outgoing)	
    	if(line == "EXIT"):
    		sys.exit(0)
    	if(outgoing == b''):
    		outgoing = line + b'\r\n'
    		ser.write(outgoing)
    	print ("     outgoing: " + outgoing.decode('utf-8'), end="")
    	return
    When I set timeout=0 (and comment out the "Nothing happened" line) the program works as expected, except that the ser.readline() function returns even with no '\n' character. The docs make it seem like it should block and wait forever for that character, but it seems to respond instantly.
    When I type multiple characters and then hit 'send' on the Arduino serial monitor the python script parses all the characters as if they were one string. If I send one character at a time it only parses one character at a time, even though there was no newline character.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When I set timeout=0 (and comment out the "Nothing happened" line) the program works as expected, except that the ser.readline() function returns even with no '\n' character.
    Take a look at the in_waiting() function in the docs https://pyserial.readthedocs.io/en/l...erial_api.html Your program says
    "readline() if there is a newline character __and__ readline() if the timeout is reached" (with timeout set to some time interval).
    You can set the timeout to some very large number (or perhaps None?? check the docs) which will only read when a newline is found. You would then have to issue a read once the loop exits to read anything in the pipe at the end of the program. This would require keying in something to exit, which would require more than you have, a GUI or multiprocessing since you are doing 2 things, 1. reading Arduino, 2. checking for exit character.
    Last edited by dwblas; February 7th, 2017 at 09:49 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture

I think it would make sense if it would return the bytes in the buffer when a newline is reached OR the timeout time has passed (instant response when timeout=0, or block forever if '\n' is never received). However, when I have the timeout set to 0 readline() still returns from the function call with the bytes that I had just sent via the Serial Monitor. This makes sense to me when the timeout is not set to 0, but when the timeout is set to 0, it should wait forever until a newline character is reached, right?

I could do the separate thread and poll the inWaiting() function, but for some reason it appears to work naturally with timeout=0 and no newline character.
    Here is the output to the command line that I get for sending text to the python script via the Arduino serial monitor:

From Arduino Serial Monitor (no ending character):
    test - no line ending from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=5s
    Command line output from Python script after a 5s delay:
    incoming: b'test - no line ending from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=5s' outgoing: test - no line ending from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=5s

From Arduino Serial Monitor (newline character appended by the Serial Monitor software):
    test - newline character coming from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=5s
    Command line output from Python script after a 5s delay: incoming:
    b'test - newline character coming from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=5s\n' outgoing: test - newline character coming from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=5s

From Arduino Serial Monitor ((no ending character):
    test - no line ending from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=0s
    Command line output from Python (instant response - no delay):
    incoming: b'test - no line ending from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=0s ' outgoing: test - no line ending from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=0s

From Arduino Serial Monitor (newline character appended by the Serial Monitor software):
    test - newline character coming from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=0s
    Command line output from Python (instant response - no delay):
    incoming: b'test - newline character coming from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=0s\n' outgoing: test - newline character coming from Arduino serial monitor, timeout=0s

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo