1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What Can Python do?

I write server side scripts using databases (mainly Access 2000 )in Coldfusion on Windows NT.

I am looking for a more cost effective (inexpensive way to port my applications to other host servers )

We do shopping carts, portals with large data directories, and learning programs.

Can Python use sql and input and output data, ala PHP, JSP, Coldfusion?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Terry
  3. chown python:users\ /world

Python works just like any other server side language. It runs as a CGI process on the server and can access database and output results just like CF, PHP, JSP, and ASP. I would suggest you go to http://python.org and read up on some of its capabilities.
    Hartmann
    badice.com
  5. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Sounds to me like you need Zope!

Zope is a python app that runs on most operating systems. Zope will talk very nicely to databases via its ZSQL methods. In fact Zope was designed to split the data access (SQL) and presentation aspects (HTML) into separately manageable areas.

Here are some of the things that I have I have done with Python and Zope:

Zope and Apache serve web content on RH linux.
    Zope "talks" to MySQL database on RH linux.
    Python scripts are excuted via "cron" to perform timed processing including email status reports, process outwards SMS text messages, database maintenance etc etc

Zope and Apache serve WAP content from the same MySQL database.

You can develop your Zope site on your PC or Laptop (great for demonstrating to clients) and then migrate to your production server by copying a few data files from your development machine to your production server.

I would go so far as to say that ANYTHING you can do with Cold Fusion, you can do with Zope. Plus Zope is FREE.

Cheers

Martin Wehipeihana
    Nethomes.co.nz

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo