1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What do you use Python for?!

Hello,

I am a recent computer science graduate. In university I used to write python programs for my courses, and I really liked this language. But now at work they don't need any Python scripts. I'm not sure how I can still be involved with it. So I though to ask you guys to see what you use Python for? Maybe that will give me an idea, because at this point the only thing I use Python for is to open webpages, or get the headlines from Yahoo News!
    How about you guys? I mean do you use it for your work purposes? For making games? Or just for school assignments? Do you have any good ideas that could be performed with writing Python scripts?
  3. No Profile Picture

The answer is a resounding YES

Personally, once I convince the net admin to get Python on my workstation [he tells me this is likely], I'll be automating some of my menial tasks with the win32com extension. Basically it will allow me to talk to the MS Office suite directly.

I'll be using it to read thru emails forwarded to me from the fire department, in order to file information about alarms relevant to U-Housing into an excel file. Aparently they like to keep track of the performance of the new alarm system.

As you already know from your headline-grabbing experience, people are continually writing extensions and packages for Python, just google the relevant task + Python.

Yes, and there is a very popular Python package for making games: "pygame". It's a great help to people with great game ideas but not-so-great graphics algorithm skills.

Originally Posted by sam_kh918
    Hello,

In university I used to write python programs for my courses,
    I want to go there
    But now at work they don't need any Python scripts.
    Yes they do
    How about you guys? I mean do you use it for your work purposes? For making games? Or just for school assignments? Do you have any good ideas that could be performed with writing Python scripts?
    Try Google
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I am currently working for a company that makes a network asset management system that sells to large companies for hundreds of the thousands of dollars/pounds. It is written entirely in Python, which allows us to be very dynamic in responding to changing requirements and implementing new features.

I have used python for writing system test scripts, including controlling Windows GUI programs.

I have written a utility program that I am going to sell into a niche market.

I have used it for countless tasks such as data processing, gluing applications together using COM and creating dynamic websites.

Dave - The Developers' Coach
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I used to use it for all of my silly little projects (and a few of them are on sourceforge), but now I mainly work on one project - Supybot. If you are into IRC at all, you should check it out, it's a fantastic bot
    Debian - because life's too short for worrying.
    Best. (Python.) IRC bot. ever.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Worlds best HTML editor

Me, I am using Python for a project of creating the worlds best HTML editor for Linux. I chose python because its syntax is easy to understand(in the right hands) and it has a access to the best GUI toolkits available Tkinter (TK for python) and wxPython. They are much more powerful then any VB or even the mighty Java's Swing. I have chosen Tkinter because I needed multiple colours and font in my text widget (same as Java's TextArea class) with the option in embedding other tripe as I see fit.

Python has to be the true multi platform programming language virtually no portability across different platforms. If you tried to install a Java application you would know the grief of getting it started. With it is just a matter of executing a py file.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I myself dont script Python but have seen it used as a Plugin system for Blender 3D.
  13. Contributing User

152 people checked this thread and only 5 people replied?! Come on people, isn't Python meant to be an open source language? So let's be open about the ideas too!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

actually, i'm using python for to automate some administration tasks (monthly server reports) and now i'm trying to use python to process large amounts of data that php / apache keeps dying on.
  17. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I think the problem is that this question comes up over and over, and no one really likes repeating themselves .

Anyway, Python is being used for everything from web programming: and the number of different choices you have here is at times a litte overwhelming; right the way though to commercial graphics systems like Cinema 4D and todays very best search engines.

http://www.python.org/Quotes.html

Personally I've used Python for a lot of different things, Archiving files with the zipfile module, creating/editing images using PIL, creating interative websites and automating those boring little tasks that you really can't stand... the list goes on .

And then there's the projects that aren't really Pythonic, that you quickly hack up in Python as a proof of consept . One more for your list.

Hope this helps,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

19. No Profile Picture

Xml

In my web work I tend to use python when I need to work with XML, particularly the DOM. I find it much more comfortable for that than either perl or PHP. I'm currently working on some projects based around the atom API and have found things coming together much more quickly in python than anything else I tried prototyping with.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo