1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is python what I want?

I'm thinking of trying python, but I can't figure out if I can make stand-alone .exe's. From what I've read, python requires an interpreter, so is python just a scripting language and any app would require the installation of said interpreter?

I'm trying to find another answer other than .NET to expand a PHP application I'm working on, and would like to find a popular open source language to create a non-web, database inferface type tool that would be a stand alone executable.

I also read that python has been around since '91. Does that mean its on the road to obselecense,and I should head for .NET?

Is Python my answer?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Gee, if I would have only searched the forum I would have found the answer... Although my other points could use opnion!
  5. slightly insane code guru
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

i'd hardly say it's on the road to obsolecense - in fact, it's being used more and more as the scripting engine for major projects, and even the majority part of others.

python's methods for interfacing with mysql are about as robust as php's, so there should be much of a problem there

as you mentioned, a search quickly brings up references to py2exe... fairly simple to use, works fine.

all in all, python should work fine for what you've described.
  7. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Believe it or not Python is more popular than its ever been, or at least to my knowledge . I wasn't using it 10 years ago after all, but it's definitely not going away any time soon!

Seriously, give it a try. You should have a lot of fun with it (definitely, if you enjoy programming) and learn a lot! There’s also a pretty active and friendly community to back you up if you have any questions .

Enjoy,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo