Thread: Python 2.3

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Exclamation Python 2.3

Hey everyone, for those of you who havn't been to Python.org for a while.. The latest Python version, Python 2.3 was released yesterday..

Nineteen months in the making, Python 2.3 represents a commitment to stability and improved performance, with a minimum of new language features. Countless bugs and memory leaks have been fixed, many new and updated modules have been added, and the new type/class system introduced in Python 2.2 has been significantly improved. Python 2.3 can be up to 30% faster than Python 2.2.
    Looking good isn't it! Anyway ppl just a heads up.. For those of you using ActivePython i can't imagin it will be that long before the guys at ActiveState release there own 2.3!

EDIT: you can get it here.. http://www.python.org/2.3/

Have fun,
    Mark.
    Last edited by netytan; July 30th, 2003 at 09:53 AM.
  3. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I'm looking forward to the speed increases

Of course the annoying thing about adopting a new release from a developer's point of view is that you have to decide whether or not to include features that require the new release, since it's an added hassle for your users, and may simply show up as a bug.
  5. Hello World :)

Me too telex, it seems to be the main thing that has been going on this time. That and all round improvments.

I hear ya, fortunatly there havn't been to many big changes since 2.2 so it shouldn't be such a problem this time around (unlike 1.5x -> 2.x.x). I'm a little unsure about bool returning Ture and False though, surly 0 and 1 must still be in use too?

Mark.
  7. Wacky hack

It looks like they are. I think that's all part of Python trying to be more readable, whilst maintaining backwards compatability, a bit like

if obj is 1:
    if obj == 1:

etc.

One thing I like in 2.3 is the logging module
  9. Hello World :)

That's good to know, just tested it myself using bool() . I'm still looking around the docs, havn't looked into the logging yet. The idea of an easy to use error log is pretty good though

Really liking the profile module, has to be my favourate so far. definatly like the speed, i'm not sure if this is an improvment to idle but it seems to be alot after than the old one!

Mark.
    Last edited by netytan; July 30th, 2003 at 08:18 PM.
  11. Wacky hack

What's the profile module?
  13. Hello World :)

The profile module seeps pretty similar to Pystone, it basically gives you a look at how long a pieces of code takes to execute, how much time was spend doing this and that and etc.

The idea being, I surpose that by seeing how long say a function takes to run you can try and optamise it.

Mark.
  15. Hello World :)

for the future..

I've just been looking at importing from zip files, interesting idea.

To run it by ya so you can poke any holes you want in it. Anyway, kinda a online module reposotory only, some new feature of Python allows you to import the module directly over the net..

Would this be too much of a security risk? The basics are already there, i can't see that it would be too hard i mean, we have functions for fetchin webpages and etc.

What ya think?

Mark.
  17. Wacky hack

I'd personally want to be able to fetch an MD5 checksum of the module, so I could be sure that it hasn't been tampered with. So long as I could do that, it could be an interesting feature.

I'll have to look into profile, it could come in handy
  19. Hello World :)

Well, i gotta agree with you there there would obviosuly have to be some security system in place. md5 rocks though! Telex, know where i could post this sugestion so the Python guys can read it?

Mark.
  21. Wacky hack

Try the mailing lists / newsgroups listed on the python web site.
  23. Hello World :)

I looked around on the mailing lists page and couldn't see a place where a sugestions could fit. So i ended up sending it to the help address on python.org with a side note pointing out that I didn't know where this should be sent and etc.

Hopefully i'll get some good feedback.

Mark.
  25. onCsdfeu
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally posted by telex4
    It looks like they are. I think that's all part of Python trying to be more readable, whilst maintaining backwards compatability, a bit like

if obj is 1:
    if obj == 1:
    Quick question : which version is "backward" and which is "right" syntax ? I realize the effect is the same, but is there a "correct" one ?
    Time is the greatest of teachers ; sadly, it kills all of its students.
    - Hector Berlioz
  27. Wacky hack

The correct one uses "is" rather than obscure operators like "==" and "eq".
  29. Hello World :)

I'm not sure there is a write way. is seems to be alot more strict at what it finds a match and what it doesn't i.e. if True is 1 doesn't return true so nothing happens, but if i use '==' i get true.

It look's at the options either side and check if they are exactly the same, string, bool, int or oct ect. so if two string or two numbers are the same then it will return true.

Can't say i've used it too much though,
    Mark.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo