1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Python 2.4 Alpha 1 released

The first alpha version of Python 2.4 has been released, so you can try out the new features and help shake out any bugs.

For me the most exciting new feature is generator expressions - these are similar to list substitutions, but create a generator instead of a list.

For example, to add up the squares of all the numbers from 1-100 that are divisible by three you can do:

Code:
    >>> sum( x*x for x in xrange(1, 101) if (x % 3)== 0 )
    The home page for 2.4 is at http://www.python.org/2.4/

An overview of the new features is at http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/...hatsnew24.html.

Dave - The Developers' Coach
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I should just re-emphasise that this is an ALPHA release, so do not use it for any production code. It is also likely that more features will be added before beta, and existing new features may change.

5. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Wow, this release is looking good so far. But gonna have t wait to see what speed increases we'll get .

Particually excited about the new decimal type, since i've been confrunted by the problems of floating point arithmetic in the past, so it seems like a great idea (the PEP page is currently unavailable though ). Totaly in agreement with the generator expressions - definatly the major improvment! Dave, I'm assumng by 'list substitutions' you mean 'list comprehensions' right?

So thats my evening planned out for me already!

Have fun,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by netytan
    Dave, I'm assumng by 'list substitutions' you mean 'list comprehensions' right?
    Whoops, yes I did - I am getting befuddled in my old age. Please substitute comprehensions for substitutions for better comprehension.

9. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Ah its not a problem really, i called them list compressions untill Strike pointed it out to me hehe. And its not like its the easiest name to remember in the world .

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo