Thread: C++ to Python

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

C++ to Python

Hey everyone! I have been using C++ for a while, and it is my favorite language I have used. I have been getting pretty good at it, but I found out today that one of my programming classes teaches Python. I am just wondering how hard of a time I am going to have transfering, and if any of my knowledge of C++ will help with Python.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts or advice!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm afraid I don't know C++, so I can't answer that specifically - but out of the handful of languages I've learned, python is by far the most intuitive and easiest to adapt to. When I switch back to Java for example, it seems clunky and inefficient by comparison. You won't have any trouble at all.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I had been programming mainly in C++ (with some Java, C and perl) for many years when I discovered Python, and it was like a great weight that I did not know I had been carrying had been lifted from my shoulders. When programming in C++ much of your attention is focused on language-specific details that have nothing to do with solving the problem at hand - memory management, complex syntax, the various sorts of constructors and operators you need to create even a basic class, and so on. In Python all that vanishes, and you can spend more brain cycles working on the real problem.

The general programming knowledge and practices you have accumulated while working in C++ are still relevant, but the language specific stuff you can joyfully put to one side. Rejoice.

Dave - The Developers' Coach

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo