1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Python 3 - What resources are out there and best?

Hellow everyone...

My company is considering using Python 3, now I am a DBA (Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL). I am not a programmer/developer, but I want to learn Python so I might be of some help, at least be informed. That being said, I am looking for the best Dead Tree HC books I can buy to add to my office library.

I currently just bought and just unwrapped yesturday:

Think Python - O'Relly book - published 8/20/2012

I was considering buying these other two books of:

Python 3 Object Oriented Programming - PACKT publishing - 7/26/2010

Violent Python: A cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers, and Security Engineers - Syngress - 11/22/2012

Are there any other books I should consider? Is there much different between Python 2 and 3? Are there any Python 2 books I should consider buying as well. I am a total beginner to this language.

I know some Perl, and Bash / Korn scripting in a Linux/SUSE world. Any advice would be greatly desired.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by ByGoneYrs; January 18th, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally Posted by ByGoneYrs
    Is there much diffenet between Python 2 and 3?
    Some of the changes are syntactical (e.g. print() is now a function instead of a keyword. Therefore print("foo") will work on both python 2 and 3, but print "foo" only works on python 2). Some are a bit more far reaching e.g. no difference between int and long now, 1/2 now returns 0.5 instead of 0 (i.e. / does floating point division in python 3. For integer division, use // operator) Unicode support is now fixed to work sanely and quite a few standard modules have been improved. To see a list of the differences, go straight to the source:
    http://docs.python.org/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html
    Personally, I haven't found it too difficult to switch from python 2 to python 3.

Originally Posted by ByGoneYrs
    Are there any Python 2 books I should consider buying as well. I am a total beginner to this language.
    I learned a heck of a lot about the nuances of python from the Python Cookbook. Fun fact: my copy is autographed by 2 out of the 3 authors .
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

"Dive Into Python" Mark Pilgrim's Free online book, novice to pro, is updated constantly, and has been rewritten for Python3

http://getpython3.com/diveintopython3/

Check appendix A for the many Py2-to-Py3 differences:
    http://getpython3.com/diveintopython3/porting-code-to-python-3-with-2to3.html
    Last edited by Dietrich; January 20th, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
  7. Contributing User

ok I bought and have in my library now:

Think Python - O'Relly book - published 8/20/2012

I have ordered these other books of:

Python 3 Object Oriented Programming - PACKT publishing - 7/26/2010

Violent Python: A cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers, and Security Engineers - Syngress - 11/22/2012

Core Python Applications Programming (3rd Edition) -3/19/2012

Introduction to Python Programming and Developement GUI Applications with PyQT - 12/1/2011

So I will have these (5) books to start with and dig into Python 3 with and see what else I might need to add.
    Last edited by ByGoneYrs; January 21st, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Remember to do some actual programming.
    Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"Think Python is available online for 3.0 in pdf or tex zip format. Also check wiki.python.org (it's down right now).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo