Thread: What is Python?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Post What is Python?

I'm serious, what is python?
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Um, there's this thing called Google - its a search engine. You should try it sometime! Its wicked popular.

http://www.google.com

All you have to do is 'type' in a 'search query'. For example, if you're looking for 'python', just type 'python' into the space on Google's homepage where the cursor is.

Then, using your mouse, click the 'google search' button.

A list of websites relevant to your search query will 'magically' appear. Just 'click' on the 'link' that you think answers your question. Chances are you'll be able to find out more about Python !

Pretty cool, huh?

DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not to mention that looking at old posts in this forum would answer that very question.
    Debian - because life's too short for worrying.
    Best. (Python.) IRC bot. ever.
  7. No Profile Picture

Dumbass

I was doing some research on scripting languages when I came across this post, and I just had to say...

You wasted more words being a smart ***; attempting to show everyone the size of your ****, rather than simply telling the guy what it was.

You make programmers look pithy.
  9. onCsdfeu

Well you could've taken the time to take a look at Python's website. They provide what I consider to be an excellent overview of Python's main features.

My main point about Python is readability. Somebody once said "Python is executable pseudocode" and I guess he was damn right. Syntax is not a problem : all your "blocks", which in some languages would be enclosed in {} such as loops, functions and such are simply created by indentation.

Another feature I like and that is not given to all languages is error readability. No more cryptic messages : you actually get understandable error messages.

And don't bother about IDEs : Python comes with IDLE, which is an excellent editor for small to medium sized projects, thus perfect for beginners.

Well I could name others but that's only my personal point of view. I did the Python switch and I'm not going back.
  11. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I see your point tomkinite .. Neither of these posts are particularly useful to anyone trying to find the answer to this question.

Another point of view would be that by pointing you in the right direction as you research your own solutions we are actually helping you to learn. Part of being a programmer/developer is knowing what doesn't work as well as what does. If the answer was handed to you every time, would you learn or even understand what was given to you?

Out of all the forum's Iíve posted this has to be the most helpful, and friendly.. A great bunch of guys and a truly nice place to begin your journey into Python (or programming in geneal).

Edit: Solar beat me to it but he summed it up quite well. Python is.. easy to learn and read, fun to work with, feature rich and powerful

Python has had the term "batteries included" applied to it in referance to its powerful, full standard libaries alswell as numerous third party modules.

There are allot of great answers to this question out there, you could use google to search for one or even buy one of the many good Python books available..

Take care all ,
    Mark.
    Last edited by netytan; August 12th, 2003 at 05:10 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It's easy really:

I learned to program using Java. I programmed a lot using Java. I delved deep into programming using Java.

After learning Python, I can't stand looking at Java. That's really all you need to know about Python.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo