Thread: Python Books

1. Haphazardly programming
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Python Books

I am actually in love with this language. I'm going to marry it eventually. Screw girls, I'm all about Python. Haha, just kidding, I love the ladies, but I love Python also.

I'm familiar with very basic Python skills, and I'd like to know more by means of a book. I'm very impressed with all the Deitel & Deitel books, but I'd like some opinions on other possible books. Any suggestions?

P.S. I've gotten several tutorials, but I'd like something physical, with syntax highlighting and a user-friendly approach.

Comments on this post

• wx_uab disagrees
  3. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

For your first books I'd go for "Learning Python" & "Programming Python" from O'Reilly - I did, but you should get the latest versions . After you've got to grips with things you might want to get "Python in a Nutshell" as a reference.

You might also enjoy Mark Pilgrims Dive into Python; not really for beginners .

http://diveintopython.org/

Enjoy,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

another great reference for python is the documentation (http://docs.python.org). Use them wisely
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Nick125
    another great reference for python is the documentation (http://docs.python.org). Use them wisely
    well, but only if you already have a faire share of programming knowledge... I was kinda overwhelmed by the ammount of information thrown at you...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

well, yeah, the docs are some powerful stuff....cocaine isn't that powerful
  11. Contributing User

books and good free tutorials

Internet CS programming course with Python from Austrailia
    http://www.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au/~comp5315/outline.html

Then after getting your feet wet
    http://www.diveintopython.org

If buying more than one $50 o'reilly book seems unappealing, an overlooked candidate is: Core Python Programming by Wesley Chun, and as a bonus actually has problems (lots and lots and lots...) at the end of every chapter. Nothing with make you a better programmer than practice... It's not quite dated yet but deals with python 2.0 , and good enough.

No matter. After any book or website tutorial it's just a matter of browsing the doc's online from the www.python.org website and hack away, question, and hack again...

cheers
    sf2k

(btw if you like any answers in the threads you read, hit the scales for that post, and reward by reputation your fellow forum reader netylan and devcoach (and others too) should have steller reputation's by now but alas no one clicks their scales )

Comments on this post

• SimonGreenhill agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you have the basics down, the Python Cookbook from O'Reilly is the only essential - there's so much useful code and commentary there. I have Python in a Nutshell and never use it, while the Cookbook is well thumbed. It may be worthwhile waiting a month, though, as the second edition is due out very soon.

--OH.
  15. (retired)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What I would love is something like the php documentation at www.php.net - something where I can quickly look up syntax, or browse a list of functions to see what I'm after. The python docs aren't quite up to it (Usage examples please!). Any ideas? Python in a nutshell maybe?

Also love the fact that I can surf to www.php.net/function_name and get a description of it's use with user comments. Something like this would be fantastic for python. Anyone want to implement it?

Anyway, PLEAC is a good resource. This is a project to compare code across languages. It basically shows you the best way to, say, read a file in, etc in that language. The python part is 63% complete. Very handy to have sitting around as it gives you snippets of commonly used code.

--Simon
  17. (retired)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by sf2k
    (btw if you like any answers in the threads you read, hit the scales for that post, and reward by reputation your fellow forum reader netylan and devcoach (and others too) should have steller reputation's by now but alas no one clicks their scales )
    The quickest way to get reputation is to hang out in the lounge (look at mine, for example).

Unfortunately, this means that non-lounge regulars who do deserve reputation don't get it that often (example: netytan (hi!), r937 the SQL god, and that poor b*stard TomMyboy who digs through millions of HijackThis logs in the windows forums every day).

However, it should settle down once people start picking up on using the reputation system. Use your 10 per day to up-rep good answers & Rep up newbies who give out good replies and ask good questions.

--Simon

Comments on this post

• wx_uab disagrees
    • netytan agrees : A little off topic, but good info :cool:.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo