1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

python + data storage

I had a crazy idea the other week (not uncommon). I am going to make a full-featured software package for estate agents, which will run on their desktop pc's. I have decided to use python (of which i have no prior experience with), simply because i am working on my own, so need to program quickly, make updates easily. how can i store data usin python - what sort of database would be best - has to be free - i will assume the agents are running a fairly new windows os. So what would be appropriate. We are not talking about a large number of properties - perhaps 1000 tops. Although each will have several photos and there is a miriad of features for each also.
  3. slightly insane code guru
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

there are good modules for interfacing python with mysql - you might try that.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by deltacoder
    there are good modules for interfacing python with mysql - you might try that.
    do you think many companies use mysql in this manner? for some reason i can't really imagine mysql doing this job. does mysql run independant of apache?

i guess i was thinking of a static database like access, instead of server based. I think most companies use static databases for these purposes.

Or am i wrong?

Anybody with admin experience?

Ta.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For a simple sql-style database I would consider Sqlite and Gadfly. Firebird (more advanced features) is also totally free and there is a Python module for Firebird. Firebird can run as a server or embedded in an application.

For this type of thing an object database like ZODB or
    Durus might be better. It's easier to develop with and a small performance penalty is not that important.
    Good web hosting info - articles about web hosting
    hb's web dev blog
  9. No Profile Picture

i gues it would make sense to pack a database with the software - i was thinking about using access but then they'd be abit screwed if they didnt have access installed!?
  11. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

From a developers point of view, namly mine . Access is a terrable piece of software, and most definatly NOT free anyway! If preformance is really important then I'd go with SQLite, else you might want to look at some of the built-in DBM modules.

http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.4/modindex.html

Mark,
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo