1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Python For Devices? Python GEO-Coding App

I'm quite comfortable with python, yet I'm aware its not hugely popular across platforms (I may be wrong).

I want to make an app that is used in map-making and tracking stops, "live". I'll spare details -

I was hoping to do it in python since its generally good for this sort of thing.

Is it possible to program an app with python that is useable among many devices or not?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Python does a fairly good job at running on multiple platforms. The main weakness in my opinion is with handling the GUI and the large footprint compared to other scripting languages.

I assume by the way you say an app it is going to be a mobile. While there is Python for both Android and iOS I've not used either and they may not be suitable for you.

But as you have used Python in the past give it a go. You also have Jython, ironPython and RPython/PyPy to consider.
  5. No Profile Picture

I have been using Python for Android devices and there are many neat features involving reading data from the device's sensors. There are also a couple different ways to compile the Python code into an .apk file for easy distribution. Also with the full screen UI wrapper, you can take advantage of Android XML layouts to customize even more.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo