1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation python functions in dtml

Hi guys.

I am a severe rookie (newbie) in the Zope/python enviroment. I therefore need some help on calling python functions in dtml code. I typed the following in one of my pages but to no avail:

<input type="text" value="<dtml-call expr="pyFeedback.doTotal('text1','text2')">" name="total:int:ignore_empty"> </td>

The function as you can see is called doTotal and it basically is supposed to display the sum of 2 values in text boxes. Am I on the right track?

Rookie pythoneer.
  3. Contributing User

If you want the result of a Python expression put in place of your dtml tag, you need to use dtml-var. dtml-call evaluates an expression, but does not put the result of that expression into the rendered page.

Fixed code:

Code:
    <input type="text" value="<dtml-var expr="pyFeedback.doTotal('text1','text2')">" name="total:int:ignore_empty">
    Ever consider using ZPT? Things are much easier to read/maintain in it.

Here's the same thing in ZPT:
    Code:
    <input type="text" tal:attributes="value python:here.pyFeedback.doTotal('text1','text2')" name="total:int:ignore_empty">
    No "tags in attributes" that way!
    Lucas Marshall
  5. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Thanks! Now to email....

Thank you for your help Lucas. I was really stressed about that one.

Now I have another problem. I am trying to email the text on a web page. The email gets to its destination but the contents are just gibberish! Is there a way that it can be received in another format apart from .dat? How about .doc or just the page as it is (html)?
    I'd really appreciate your help.

Mutinda.
  7. No Profile Picture

Unhappy oh no! more function trouble!

I spoke too soon!

I have just tried to call the corrected function but it still has a problem. Is there a simpler way to display the total of several textboxes(with integer values) on a form in one textbox on the same form?

Is it possible for the "total" textbox to have a default state where it "totals" & displays the totals as soon as the form is active?

Mutinda.
  9. Contributing User

So, you want to be able to enter a couple of numbers in a couple of text boxes and have the sum of the two display in another text box on the same form? If so, that's not a job for any server side language... it's a job for JavaScript.
    Lucas Marshall

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo