1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Python Math Game Help Needed

I have to write a math game program and I have no clue where to start. The guidelines for the program are:

-Welcome user to the game and ask if want to do addition or subtraction

-If addition, generate random numbers between 0 and 6

-If subtraction, generate random numbers between 0 and 9 and if the second number is larger than the first they need to be switched somehow.

-For each game, generate 10 number facts, one at a time of the type chosen by the user.

-User should be permitted to try each question twice and if they answer a question wrong both time, display the answer for them.

-After answering the 10 facts, show the user how many answers they got right on the first try.

-If they get all of them correct, display a special message to congratulate them

I need to do this by tomorrow and I do not know anyone that knows Python to ask. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Ask yourself:
    Originally Posted by pschmidley
    -Welcome user to the game and ask if want to do addition or subtraction
    "ask if" - How do you output the question and how do you get input from the user?

-If addition, generate random numbers between 0 and 6
    "generate" - How do you get random numbers? How do you limit it to be between 0 and 6?
    "numbers" - How many? Where can you store them all?

-If subtraction, generate random numbers between 0 and 9 and if the second number is larger than the first they need to be switched somehow.
    "switched" - If there some easy way to switch two values? If not then what else could you do to ensure you print the larger value first?

-For each game, generate 10 number facts, one at a time of the type chosen by the user.
    "10" - Besides copying and pasting code (the wrong answer), how else can you repeat something 10 times?

-User should be permitted to try each question twice and if they answer a question wrong both time, display the answer for them.
    "try each question twice" - What's the best way to ask a second time only if they got the answer wrong the first time?
    "answer a question wrong" - When did you calculate the answer?

-After answering the 10 facts, show the user how many answers they got right on the first try.
    "how many answers" - How will you keep track of this?

Spoiler: I don't know Python.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Swap is kind of fun in python. matlab and j can work similarly.
    Code:
    if minuend < subtrahend:
        (minuend, subtrahend,) =  (subtrahend, minuend,)
    (Swap was fun on the IBM 360, maybe it was an earlier computer. The machine code swap executed
    a^=b;b^=a;a^=b
    )
    Last edited by b49P23TIvg; December 6th, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo