1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Python , .Net , java ??? Speed finding

How do you think about speed of finding a string in a big file between these language programming ? What language is the fastest ?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by NPT
    How do you think about speed of finding a string in a big file between these language programming ? What language is the fastest ?
    If that's literally all you are doing, why not just use grep to do that?

However, I would imagine that .NET is the fastest at parsing a file for a given string, with Python and Java trailing behind it. But like I said, if all you are doing is searching a file for one string, just use the existing tools that do it.
    Debian - because life's too short for worrying.
    Best. (Python.) IRC bot. ever.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

String searching would, I'm guessing, be a matter of checking through the file one character at a time.

I suspect the CLR, JVM and Python Interpreter have platform-dependant C or C++ code to handle reading files and string searching, so they should come out very close.
  7. No Profile Picture

please help me , i'm going to use my application write in C# to call a file script Python , the Python script will process a text file( search,compare ...) and return result in C# . How do you think about it ? Will i get some advantage from this way ? help me please , thank so much

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo