1. Junior Member
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Python Newbies...

Hey all,

I am starting down the path of Python for my first language. Well, first language to really learn as a programmer in training.

I use PHP alot on my servers, LAMP, but have not been determined to learn an Object oriented language.

However, I have read so much positive stuff about Python that I couldn't resist. Plus, tired of not being able to code what I need.

What I would like to do is start a dialogue with other Python Newbies and experienced programmers in an attempt to overcome learning this in a vacum. Items like useful books, websites etc.

antwerx
  3. Will develop for food.

Re: Python Newbies...

Originally posted by antwerx
    What I would like to do is start a dialogue with other Python Newbies and experienced programmers in an attempt to overcome learning this in a vacum. Items like useful books, websites etc.
    Hey!

The most useful site you'll probably find is www.python.org. You can find many off-site links to other useful resources, you can find documentation in other languages, check the development of Python, etc.

I learned everything I know so far about Python (not much, but enough) just by visiting the Python.org website and following on-site and off-site links.

cya
  5. No Profile Picture

Python newbie

Antwerx,

If you learn well from books, I suggest 'Core Python Programming' by Wesley Chun. It is by far the best I've found. I'm a Python newbie as well and in 3 months time I've been able to implement Python in projects at work(automating MSOffice, SQL DB stuff, etc.).

If you're forced to deal with Win32 at work as I am then Mark Hammonds' 'Python Programming on Win32' is the best (and only) book available.

Reading the modules is really the best tho. Baptism by fire.

Good Luck!
  7. Junior Member

Cool

zweistein and ptonman,

thanks for your advice, i truely appreciate it.

ptonman, i am in a win32 environment and would like to read more your MSOffice implementations, if you dont mind of course.

zweistein, pyton.org is a daily destination, thanks.

antwerx
  9. Will develop for food.

Originally posted by antwerx
    zweistein, pyton.org is a daily destination, thanks.
    Hey, no problem, glad I could help .

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo