Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question What Is Python And How You Use It? :S (me noob)

Ok, well since i have loads of free time right now as I'm on my holiday i decided to learn something new that being to program... i searched it on google and go directed to python managed to download it now... er yeah, I'm lost i have completely no idea and when i went to help it was like 5 million pages and i ain't gonna read that . but i though being the kind type of people you are in this forum maybe you could give me like a direction of where to go. at the moment i mean pffft it looks like a basic Windows Word documents... i hope you can help me id love it if you could thank you so much for your time
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Python is a very powerfull higher level interprited programing language. Learning python is very simple and easy to get into, and sorry there is a lot of reading. I don't know where you went for the help but the python documentation is quite large, no larger than any other language of pythons level but it is very large and quite extensive.

Pythons web site:
    http://python.org

Pythons official documentation:
    http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html

The beginers guied:
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

Now read though that, i would start with the beginners guide and then use pythons documentation for refferances and such. Lots of good information on it. Also search google for python tutorials. You will find a lot of stuff there as well. Good Luck!
  5. No Profile Picture

Nice one, thanks for the fast reply. you say its a "very powerfull higher level interprited programing language" like what types of programming can you do with it, as i know i want to learn promramming but to be honest i dont know completly what a programmer does. ok sorry for all the questions but ill get reading thank you
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

well python is a very powerfull and very versatile. It is great for simple quick tools that can do everything from checking the file size of a folder then email someone if it is to large to optimizing a mysql table. Python is also amazing for very large things, good exambles are: zope, twisted matrix, and even bit torrent. All of those are writen completely in python.

Most people use python for simple to meduem large projects. i personly use python for just about everything. I use it for my web site, using mod_python for apache. I also use it for my simple tools and some of my applications I make for myself or other companys.

Programmers do lots of differant things. Everything from just making little fun games or tools to writing security patches for the lastest bsd kernel. It depends on your level of skill and what your interested in. It takes a lot of time and reading. I have been coding for about 1 year and a half and I hardly consider myself good. I code in a few differant languages including c++, python, java and php. My favorite and the one I am best at is python. Python has a perfect mix of simplisity and power.
  9. No Profile Picture

Nice... i see its a pretty big thing then. something you cant just pick up and be an expert at, lol. anyway like you told me to do, (have a look at them links) i found one where this guy does video tutorials and i saw like a very beginning of it and that was pretty impressive.tho in that video they showed something with Tkinter and they i didn't understand... when that is used it like makes a visible window but it did that on Windows and Linux? is that Tkinter a standard thing on every o/s :S oh i dunno it just confused me tho. lol thank you for what you have informed me with so far tho I'm very much appreciating it.
  11. No Profile Picture

ok... i have already gotmyself into a problem... please tell me what im doing wrong (im using WindowsXP by the way)

Code:
    from Tkinter import *

root = Tk()

listbox = listbox(root)

listbox.pack()

friend_list - ['Steve','Tom','Jenny']

for item in friend_list:
        listbox.insert(END,item)

print friend_list

root.mainloop()
    i have that typed into somthing that im doing... but when i try and run the module it i get an error...

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Desktop\First.pyw", line 5, in ?
        listbox = listbox(root)
    NameError: name 'listbox' is not defined
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi!

Python is case sensitive, so it does matter if you type listbox or Listbox. The correct one is Listbox.
    Code:
    lstbox = Listbox(root)
    Maybe it's better for you to learn the basics of the language first and then try do do some GUI programming with Tkinter
    CyBerHigh has given you so useful links - start with the Beginners Guide

Regards, mawe
  15. No Profile Picture

righto... the meaning of GUI PHP and all that lark... i have not 1 idea of it... but ok i think that was a little extreme for me thanks
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

but to be honest i dont know completly what a programmer does.
    A program is a written set of instructions for a computer to follow.

Computers are not intelligent, they just read instructions and follow them absolutely to the letter - which means programs have to be very precise and careful to have all the steps they need.

This also means there are libraries of pre-written code that you can use to save time and effort (also known as: don't waste effort reinventing the wheel when you could just pick up an existing wheel for your vehicle).

Programming is the bit where you decide what you want to see happen, create a way of making it happen, and then write it out.

It's fun in a creative way because every program that you've used, every game you've played, every cool effect has been written from scratch, and you could contribute to that.

It's also fun in a puzzle kind of way because you have to get the right pieces and put them together in just the right way.

It's also a damned pain sometimes. Like maths.

Unfortunately, even though Python itself is easy, computers are filled with cool programs already, so there's a lot of basic stuff to learn.

Still. If it wasn't fun, there wouldn't be so many Google results for it.

Go here: http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

Start with chapter 1.

I think it's a good introduction to programming and Python.
  19. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Since you are using Windows, I would recommend you take a look at PY2EXE . PY2EXE takes Python code and converts it into a fully functional Windows executable application.

Here is the download link for it:
    PY2EXE for Python 2.3
    PY2EXE for Python 2.4
  21. No Profile Picture

sfb that's wicked thanks for like explaining it all in detail... i find it like maths i guess i can read it with pretty much problem but writing it i have problems with it, but then again i only started learning python about what? 4 hours ago ... anyway yegg thanks for that program thing I'm sure ill need to use that while I'm progressing... thank you all so much for your support, i envy your talent lol
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

py2exe isn't really needed till you start releasing you stuff out. I don't want to confuse you for needing that.
  25. No Profile Picture

lol... i see, this stuff on its own is pretty crazy, well for me it is... but at the moment if anyone else is out there that can just tell me one thing... cos i been look and reading alot about how it all works and i pretty much understand all of it... but some things start using Tkinter and others don't but i dunno what to like direct myself into doing? also can anyone tell me what the perpos of wxPython (i think that's it), Mod Python and Python and what they all do well i guess i know Python but anyways... thank you
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hey steve im a newbie too n i been playin wit python a lil bit myself and i say its worth learin its jus time consumin n comin up wit ideas to program seems to b the the downer 4 me
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

wxPython is a graphical toolkit like the tkinter only much much more powerfull. It is what I use and what a lot of the more major software use because of its native look and feel to the end user. What I mean is with tkinter you get one standard envorenment for every os you put it in, however with wxPython you get the windows feel to your app or in linux with kde whatever theme you have it will follow that look. It also has more powerfull wedgets and such.

Mod_python is a apache mod for python, it basicly imbeds a python interpriter into apache. This allows for faster execution than though cgi. Its comparible to things like php.

These comare to python in that they are just tools for the python developer. Just other places that you can take python. Give python more power and such.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo