1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Python Programming for Xbox One Games?

I am just starting to learn the Python Programming Language.

I have been at it for a little over a month now.

I am wondering if we will be able to program Python Games for the Xbox One.

So, do you guys think it will be possible to create a game for the Xbox One using the Python Language or a variant of the Python Language?

Variants of Python include: CPython, IronPython, Jython and Cython.

I really want to make a game for the XBox One. Nothing big, just a small indie-game. But I don't know any other programming languages except Python.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SpaceTimeTravel
    I have been at it for a little over a month now. I am wondering if we will be able to program Python Games for the Xbox One.
    You sound like you are putting the proverbial cart several miles before the horse.
    So, do you guys think it will be possible to create a game for the Xbox One using the Python Language
    Honestly, even if it is possible (which I think highly unlikely) it would likely not be the right tool. You should probably look into C# or C++ or even Unity.
    Nothing big, just a small indie-game.
    You are vastly underestimating the amount of work that goes into even the smallest indie game. Unless you create a fairly polished product you won't make it on Steam, Desura, XBox, anywhere, and even if you do you won't make enough money to justify development.

Spend some time here reading threads and absorbing information:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDev
    I urge you however not to post a "I've been programming for one month and want a game on X-Box," thread though.

For the moment it sounds like you are dreaming; which is fine; so am I. Honestly I would suggest sticking with Python until you have a good grasp of programming in general. Maybe make a few games (with realistic goals and no aim to make money).

-Mek
    Last edited by Mekire; December 28th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Bumping this thread....As I posted this topic before the Xbox One came out...Now that is has been out for a while, somebody should have an answer for me.
  7. Editor-in-Beef

I couldn't find out with a quick search if you can use Python for developing Xbox One games - I would suspect, as noted above, that you would need to use C++, but technically I suppose it is possible. I think the bigger issue you will have though is actually getting a Dev Kit and qualifying for your game to be on the platform in general. You have to request a Dev Kit and be approved to receive one - no clue what the requirements for that are. PS4 is similar I know. Here is a link discussing it: Xbox One indie games launching alongside PS4, PC requirement looked at on a "case by case" basis - GameSpot

There is another gaming console that you can purchase for 100 bucks and it lets you create your own games and apps and upload them to the Android store - I know it isn't the same thing, but may be a better/simpler route: https://www.ouya.tv/
    Editor-in-Beef
  9. Contributing User

Bumping this thread....As I posted this topic before the Xbox One came out...Now that is has been out for a while, somebody should have an answer for me.
    Microsoft has dumped support for XNA so you can't even use C# for Xbox dev anymore. C++ is the only sure language and there are really no tools available to help you along. There's also the possibility of support for Unity and HTML5 with JavaScript but I can't imagine Python will ever be an option for a Microsoft product. Maybe if we had a GoogleGame box. Anyway, why would you waste time writing for a restricted platform when you can just create PC games with Python that anyone can run?

BTW, you've had 7 months to learn python... Show us the games you have written so far!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo