1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Python's interaction with Cookies

Hey all. Not sure how many people read this forum yet, but hopefully I can find someone who knows the answer. In Python, how can I grab what cookies have been already set? I know how to set the cookies, but what if I want to check to see if a cookie already exists that I didn't set with Python? Is there a function for this? The examples given in Python's documentation weren't too specific in retrieving cookies, only in setting them itself.
  3. No Profile Picture

Talking *wipes the sweat from his brow*

Well, after roughly five or so hours of laboring away at this problem of mine, I finally was able to figure out how to get pre-existing cookies from the browser in order to use them. Here's what I finally came up with:

import cgi, os
    from Cookie import SimpleCookie

if os.environ.has_key('HTTP_COOKIE'):
    The_Cookie = SimpleCookie(os.environ['HTTP_COOKIE'])
    else:
    The_Cookie = SimpleCookie()

What this does is if there are pre-existing cookies for that site, it will create a varialbe "The_Cookie" with those variables in it. If there are no pre-existing variables, it will create an empty variable. Hope this helps anyone else who was having this problem.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by GabePreston
    Well, after roughly five or so hours of laboring away at this problem of mine, I finally was able to figure out how to get pre-existing cookies from the browser in order to use them. Here's what I finally came up with:

import cgi, os
    from Cookie import SimpleCookie

if os.environ.has_key('HTTP_COOKIE'):
    The_Cookie = SimpleCookie(os.environ['HTTP_COOKIE'])
    else:
    The_Cookie = SimpleCookie()

What this does is if there are pre-existing cookies for that site, it will create a varialbe "The_Cookie" with those variables in it. If there are no pre-existing variables, it will create an empty variable. Hope this helps anyone else who was having this problem.
    Hey tried the given code,

I get nothing in my output,

But i have used forms - and javascript to set my form data into cookie.

but when i run the python code, i dont get any cookies.

why is tat.

Please help me in this
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

but when i run the python code, i dont get any cookies.

why is tat.
    It's because you can't just read cookies as if they were something system-wide. They only make sense in the context of web browsers and web servers, otherwise they are just browser-specific files.

When you browse to a website in a web browser, it will check for stored cookies for that domain, and send them to the web server along with the standard request. On the web server, if using a CGI script, you will get the cookie for that session from that client for that domain available as a local environment variable.

Reading a cookie from os.environ['HTTP_COOKIE'] only makes sense if your script is running as a CGI script as part of a web server...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo