1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Python's usefullness for developing applications

Hi all,

I've been excited to embrace Python for the last couple days. But attempting to get even the simplest of things running has sort of taken the wind out of my sail. I thought MacPython was fully installed on every OSX machine by default. But I have immediately found that TKinter applications require a bunch of extra install junk. I'm computer literate and I still don't have it running yet. TkTcl is installed, as is the additions for mac. PackageManager doesn't just work, you have to do a bunch of crap to make it point to the proper database. I installed TKinter module but things still don't run. When I try to run one of the demos, the window pops up momentarily, but then disappears. I, personally, would spend a day or two more tinkering with it until it worked, but nobody that buys the software I write in Python is going to do that. Is there something I'm missing? I just wasted my money on a book, didn't I? Bah, this sucks.

TampaDeveloper
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

well we can't be of much help without any specific errors. if you open up a console and try to run a script using Tkinter from the command line, you'll be able to see the error rather than just a flash of a console. if you post the errors you're getting maybe we can be of help, or the documentation/FAQs at the python website will have answers to your problems.
  5. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hey all,

Im new to the Mac but there are a few things ive had to get used to... firstly, you have to run every Python program manually though Terminal (the command line), though after leaning some applescript i sat down and wrote a small Droplet that automates this - though it still needs some work before its really useful (I have a lot to learn )

As for Mac Python add-ons, i installed it for a while but found it to be pretty usless, since it really adds is some GUI stuff, and i dont really use that all that often; so, your best bet would be to download wxPython, and install it.

You should then be able to use BundleBuilder to package all this up into a .app file. Wala, your users wont have to do anything more other than drag the program to there Applications folder.

http://www.pythonmac.org/wiki/BundleBuilder

Another option would be to download iceburg from the OSX download site - or use packagemaker that comes with developers tools - and make an installer to wrap all the hard work up for you... though i havnt done this yet.

Hope this helps,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by rebbit
    well we can't be of much help without any specific errors. if you open up a console and try to run a script using Tkinter from the command line, you'll be able to see the error rather than just a flash of a console. if you post the errors you're getting maybe we can be of help, or the documentation/FAQs at the python website will have answers to your problems.
    Hi rebbit,

I used the console per your suggestion. In /Applications/MacPython-2.3/Extras/Demo/tkinter/matt:

#python 00-HELLO-WORLD.py

The window comes up properly, but when I try to click anywhere on it, I get the following error in the console:

SetFrontProcess failed,-606
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by netytan
    Hey all,

Im new to the Mac but there are a few things ive had to get used to... firstly, you have to run every Python program manually though Terminal (the command line), though after leaning some applescript i sat down and wrote a small Droplet that automates this - though it still needs some work before its really useful (I have a lot to learn )

As for Mac Python add-ons, i installed it for a while but found it to be pretty usless, since it really adds is some GUI stuff, and i dont really use that all that often; so, your best bet would be to download wxPython, and install it.

You should then be able to use BundleBuilder to package all this up into a .app file. Wala, your users wont have to do anything more other than drag the program to there Applications folder.

http://www.pythonmac.org/wiki/BundleBuilder

Another option would be to download iceburg from the OSX download site - or use packagemaker that comes with developers tools - and make an installer to wrap all the hard work up for you... though i havnt done this yet.

Hope this helps,

Mark.
    Hi Mark. Actually this helps alot. Sounds like I just got started with the wrong toolkits. I'll have to look into wxPython. I'm just cranky because Java made it so easy to deploy things across multiple platforms. So I'm put off that I actually have to do work for it.

Thanks!

Kurt
  11. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Ah, but Apple are very into Java and include it as a Major feature with MacOS X so it makes sence that they would make steps to make sure everything works there. Python is.. i guess, the less loved older son .

Have fun, also, wouldn't mind seeing what you come up with - as one developer to another - so, feel free to contact me.

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo