1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

General questions

I used to do a lot of coding (C++, Objective C, AS, JS etc) but haven't been into it for a few years. I want to create a program for data analysis from a database. I've decided that Python will be a good fit for that, and I've followed a few tutorials to get a feel for the language, but there's a number of things that are unclear to me. I'm using a Mac.

1. I want this to be an offline, i.e. desktop executable program. How do I do that with Python? Is it possible to create a clickable application that runs straight from the Mac, without having to open up the terminal etc to run Python?
    2. I might as well use the best editor I can get, so I was thinking of paying for Pycharm, worth it?
    3. I want to store the data in a database. Eventually there may be 100-300k of entries, but there won't be millions. So I was thinking of something like SQLite, but would the database be stored internally in the python program, or would it still be accessed as an external file (which I'd prefer I think)?
    4. I want the program itself to have a GUI to allow me to put entries into the database (although I'm also storing them in a excel file right now, and will want to import that into the database at some point). What are the most popular GUI's to use with Python?
    5. I know there are a number of data analysis and visualization libraries available for Python. Any suggestions on which would integrate well into what I'm trying to achieve?

Thanks for any help.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

2) emacs is the best editor. Learn it.
    3) Use jd from J Home
    4) Avoid tkinter. It's ridiculous.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Biggerplay
    I used to do a lot of coding (C++, Objective C, AS, JS etc) but haven't been into it for a few years. I want to create a program for data analysis from a database. I've decided that Python will be a good fit for that, and I've followed a few tutorials to get a feel for the language, but there's a number of things that are unclear to me. I'm using a Mac.

1. I want this to be an offline, i.e. desktop executable program. How do I do that with Python? Is it possible to create a clickable application that runs straight from the Mac, without having to open up the terminal etc to run Python?
    2. I might as well use the best editor I can get, so I was thinking of paying for Pycharm, worth it?
    3. I want to store the data in a database. Eventually there may be 100-300k of entries, but there won't be millions. So I was thinking of something like SQLite, but would the database be stored internally in the python program, or would it still be accessed as an external file (which I'd prefer I think)?
    4. I want the program itself to have a GUI to allow me to put entries into the database (although I'm also storing them in a excel file right now, and will want to import that into the database at some point). What are the most popular GUI's to use with Python?
    5. I know there are a number of data analysis and visualization libraries available for Python. Any suggestions on which would integrate well into what I'm trying to achieve?

Thanks for any help.
    Hi Biggerplay....

I use PyScripter for serius python GUI's...

PyScripter is an free and open source Python IDE and i think even for working fast with it...
    For Graphical User Interfaces (or GUI's) i use "tkinter" in python 3.x yet... (on older windows system in python 2.7).

Tkinter is an standart python library..., you don't need pip to install tkinter... it is just an standart python lib yet...
    Tkinter is easy to use.... so you can create as example the follow things four your GUI's thad tkinter supports:

- Buttons
    - Radiobuttons
    - Slidebuttons (or rether Scales)
    - Checkboxes
    - Listboxes
    - Tabs
    - Optionmenus
    - Scrollbars
    - Scrolledtext
    - Professional Look Styles (ttk.Style)
    - Messageboxes (errors, warnings, questions, message, yesnocancels, ...etc)
    - Colors (..., foreground = 'red', background = 'yellow', ...etc)
    - Palettes (askcolor widgets)

Succes with develop your own GUI...., python 3.x is the highest version...,
    Jamie.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

tkinter is difficult to use and poorly documented. That's part of the reason Jamie has had so many questions about it. Sometimes you pass coordinates as a string. Sometimes as numbers. If you must learn tkinter you should probably learn
    tcl/tk first. You'll realize that tcl passes everything as strings, and that tkinter then either uses strings or forces you to convert to strings, and wonder why your computer should spend so long converting numbers to and from strings.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo