1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

RE: Problem with method in class

Can someone please advise what I'm doing wrong with the following method. As an introduction, I've got a class containing currency of various denominations, which need to be added up and a total obtained. The method which I am confused on is supposed to convert each denomination of currency to the lowest value of the currency i.e. 'lambs' in my example. The problem is that when I start timesing (*) an attribute in my class, I get a huge number, much longer then the correct result. The code I am confused about is as follows:

def getTotal (self):
    self.total = self.lamb * 10 + (self.bleat * 10) + (self.frolic * 50) + (self.ram * 100)
    return self.total

In running a test, I commented out everything after self.bleat*10)... and then ran the program typing the values 1 for lamb and 1 for bleat. When the total is printed I expected a result of 11, but instead the result came out as:

Any ideas!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Looks like you are multiplying strings on accident, perhaps. Make sure that when you are doing multiplication that you cast strings to ints or floats.
    Debian - because life's too short for worrying.
    Best. (Python.) IRC bot. ever.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ya I'd check and make sure that your numbers aren't strings, because if they are, it would just print out the string multiple times depending on the number you multiplied it with.

example:

'11' * 10

prints out:

'11111111111111111111'
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, that was the problem. I just used the repr() function to convert into integers and that seems to have sorted it.

Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by markb_1984
    Yeah, that was the problem. I just used the repr() function to convert into integers and that seems to have sorted it.

Thanks.
    repr() is fine, but I think maybe int() would be more appropriate as I think it would raise better Exceptions and would make the intentions more clear (repr() may silently convert something to a datatype you don't want to like a list or something whereas int() places more constraints on what the data can be)
    Debian - because life's too short for worrying.
    Best. (Python.) IRC bot. ever.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo