1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Run module doesn't activate shell

Hi all,

first post here! I looked about for an answer to this somewhat annoying but harmless problem but I couldn't find anything

In python 2.7.4 when I hit F5 to run a module, the Python shell doesn't always become active. For instance, if I define some raw_input and hit F5, I see the text in the shell, but I have to go over and click on the Python Shell window to enter my input. Things work ok if the .py has the modification already saved, then the Shell window activates no problem.

In Python 2.5 this doesn't happen. When I hit F5, the shell window always activates.

I am using mac os 10.8.3 and 10.6.8 and have seen the same problem on both OSs
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Welcome. Bummer. No clue.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by gabbro
    I looked about for an answer to this somewhat annoying but harmless problem but I couldn't find anything
    That’s because what you have isn’t really a Python problem.

In python 2.7.4 when I hit F5 to run a module,
    I guess you use IDLE since F5 seems to be the “Run module” key in it.

the Python shell doesn't always become active.
    Activation and focussing of windows is the job of the window manager, not Python. I prefer “focus follows mouse” so I’m usually fine with active windows being in the background but I understand it may appear tricky to the uninitiated. Maybe you can fine tune these settings in Macs too? (Or maybe not.)
    My armada: openSUSE 13.1 (home desktop, home laptop), Crunchbang Linux 11 (work laptop), Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0.1 (mini laptop), Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (server), Android 4.2.1 (tablet), Windows 7 Ultimate (testbed)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo