1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Running Python in Terminal (UNIX)

Dear Forums,

Hello! I am very new to Python, and have had zero experience in any other programing language. I am currently working on a text based game which I would like to run on Terminal on my Mac.

I have a few issues I would like your wise minds to answer:

1) Whenever I want to input a string in Terminal, I have to input quotation marks so it recognizes its a string. Anyway to get rid of this need of quotes?

2) I want a certain theme for the game environment. I want the program thats running the script to have a sort of Matrix theme with the black window and green font (I only chose Terminal because of the theme). Is there anyway to somehow download a theme, or change the color settings of the program? I have WingsIDE and IDLE.

Would appreciate the help. Many thanks!

- Duke
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by theduke007
    1) Whenever I want to input a string in Terminal, I have to input quotation marks so it recognizes its a string. Anyway to get rid of this need of quotes?
    You probably mean input() in Python 2.x. Either use Python 3 or raw_input() in Python 2.

2) I want a certain theme for the game environment. I want the program thats running the script to have a sort of Matrix theme with the black window and green font (I only chose Terminal because of the theme). Is there anyway to somehow download a theme, or change the color settings of the program? I have WingsIDE and IDLE.
    I have no idea about any “themes”, but I guess you can control the colours using a suitable module (curses? I don’t know).
    My armada: openSUSE 13.1 (home desktop, home laptop), Crunchbang Linux 11 (mini laptop, work laptop), Android 4.2.1 (tablet)
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Solution for both pythons

import sys
    sys.stdin.readline()
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo