1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sending broadcast message over network and collecting the return IP Address in list

Hi well subject line itself is quite explaining. I just wann know how to implement following

A function in which i need to send broadcast message and then i have to collect the list of all the IPs which have responded

So that i can return list of ip from my function

Say my broadcast IP address be 192.168.100.255

How to do this????

TIA

Sandeep
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I want to do something similar like sending messages to one of the network computer and then that user being able to reply...

Out o my head I would say something with a socket and a threading thing...

the threading can be left out just sometimes the program might crash since when you and him send it at the same time something happens just don't know what...:P

EDIT: As I just looked a telnet would be able to work for my requirment so maybe also yours...
    Last edited by monkeyman23555; July 15th, 2005 at 08:05 AM.
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
  5. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Broadcast pings are not a reliable way to discover all devices on a network. A lot of devices will just ignore the broadcast. If they do respond there will also be a lot of packet collisions so some devices will be hidden that way too.

(Try "ping 192.168.100.255" and see what happens - for me I only discovered my router)

IMO Your only option is to iterate all IP addresses on the sub-net and a ping a variety of ports for each address.

Here are some links you might find useful:
    http://pynms.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.python.org/~jeremy/python.html

grim

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo