1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Site for Practising Python Programming

Hey Everyone,

This is a new site that I'm working on. It's designed for people who have read a few tutorials on Python but don't know what to do next.

Python Practice Projects

What would you want to see on this site? I'm very open to suggestions and always looking to improve how useful it is.

Comments on this post

• noobie1000 agrees : Good initiative! And rather than giving away solutions, you explain the problem well. Good one, mate!
  3. Contributing User

The idea seems good to me, but I fear it would not be too easy to attract audience

I personally greatly like the projects you listed - and design
    is quite bright and plain which is very good... However I have some doubts %)

You are considering larger scale projects which are (I think) intended for advanced level programmers. However, such people often either have their own ideas about how to write such stuff or are interested in some specific projects you did not mention

Also people could be attracted by socializing and adding interactiveness... However, I myself is struggling to bring to life what is intended to be programming education project for beginners (http://codeabbey.com) and I could not boast of significant success (there were only a bit more than 10 users who tried to solve more than one task) though almost the month have passed...

So I conclude it is not a simple matter
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks rodiongork! Your comments are very encouraging. If it was easy, then it would already be done right =D?

I'll just keep adding to it and see where it goes. Hopefully someone finds it useful.
  7. No Profile Picture

Nice site

That's a very nice looking site, turvey. I like it because it's not to busy and overdone (I can quickly scroll down it and get an idea of what's available). But, neither is it too plain or drab as to be boring. It's conventional/modern looking and aesthetically easy to look at. It's also a good idea, a site to practice Python. I myself only got back into programming out of necessity. I have poker hand history files in Excel 2007 Workbooks (*.xlsx) but the industry norm is for hand histories to be in a *.txt form, and formatted much differently than the almost useless ones that I currently have. So, I'm trying to write something that'll translate heads up poker hand histories from their current *.xlsx state into a compatible *.txt format. That might be an idea for a project, but it'd only catch on if the people looking at it are interested in poker and in a similar situation (probably not very likely).

I'm going to include just a few Python tutorial sites that I've looked at, while I am learning the basics of Python. Your site looks more advanced than the stuff that I have, though. While looking at your post and site, I did think of one idea that may be a suitable project for your site. I like doing those Sudoku puzzles, and there is quite a bit of info on the net about solving and/or coding them. Something like that may not be too basic for your site, I don't know. I can't remember if Google AdWords, or whatever it was called (something for SEO) would be able to tell you which competitor sites have the most traffic. If so, you could find out the top few sites, traffic-wise, and maybe try and make your projects similar to theirs (but different) to draw traffic. I never learned much about SEO, but I always read that it's a tough area of the web page business. Just a few sites, for ideas on similar project topics. Some of them might be relevant:

h t t p s : / / w i k i DOT p y t h o n DOT o r g / m o i n / B e g i n n e r s G u i d e

h t t p : / / w w w DOT t u t o r i a l s p o i n t DOT COM / p y t h o n / p y t h o n _ u s e f u l _ r e s o u r c e s DOT h t m

h t t p : / / w w w DOT p y t h o n f o r b e g i n n e r s DOT COM /

h t t p s : / / w w w DOT g o o g l e DOT COM / # q = p y t h o n + p r a c t i c e + p r o j e c t s

I don't really know for sure, but I'd probably have just a few intro tuts on some not so elementary basics, just to get newer coders to look around. They would be projects centered around getting and keeping traffic, but also have useful content too. I've been concentrating mainly on poker for awhile, so I'm short on ideas for programs. There's alot of ideas (and demand for them) on some poker forums: 2+2; flopturnriver; deucescracked... An Expected Value calculator would be awesome; something that illustrates all of the action of a heads up poker hand (preflop, flop, turn, and river) and then shows things like chip-stack sizes, betting amounts, etc, and then shows the EV for each given decision on every street entered into it. For more info on something like that, find the homepage of CardrunnersEV.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the ideas! I'll definitely add them onto my list of possible projects. There are just so many that I have a hard time picking.

If you need help with the poker hand conversions, feel free tmsg me.

Poker is pretty cool but from what I've read its getting insanely competitive.

Cheers mate!
  11. No Profile Picture

Those are just some places that might lead to a good idea or two on some suitable projects. I tried to think of two or three concrete examples but I wasn't able to. That is always a tough decision for me when I'm just starting out learning a language and then trying to find a suitable project to learn/practice on. Unless I already have something in mind that I need to accomplish with the code, then I can't really get too enthusiastic about an arbitrary project enough to be able to 'give it my best shot'.

If this site has polls or survey type posts, you could probably post a survey or something, asking users to describe a project idea that they'd like to see. Whenever I'm looking around for something to try, it seems to always be subjective and I seem to find only one or two really good ideas out of maybe 100 or so.

Projects that are related to demonstrating Object Oriented Analysis, Design, and then Programming are what I've been looking for lately but haven't been able to find many ideas online yet that both do a decent job of demonstrating the process and also that are basic enough (but not too small) for me to understand. More or less, I think, a project that's interesting enough to make me want to stick with it through inevitable trouble spots; but also something that, while I'm trying to solve it, I tend to see through experience why I need to use certain OO concepts and things like that. It just struck me that a forum dedicated to each project could be helpful. With different users all contributing different ideas, people (like me) that would not normally view things in another way would, perhaps, be enlightened by others' input on a topic. I don't know exactly - I can picture it but have a hard time explaining it in enough detail.

It's changed quite a bit since I was learning from it, but check out Javaranch DOT com and see how they tend to introduce novices to more compicated aspects of OOP. I remember that I would periodically take the quiz on the Java certification just to commit certain 'rules of thumb' to memory. I was no where near the level of actually getting certified but I figured that knowing the concepts of the quiz would someday inspire me to understand and get a foothold into OO thinking.

I am tempted to tmsg you for an OO perspective on my current problem domain. I still need a few more posts before I'm elligible to tmsg anyone, so I may find the answer before then.
  13. No Profile Picture

Hello again. I was watching some things, hoping to learn something when I happened across one tutorial that seems to show some promise, located at:
    h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = R r P Z z a _ v Z 3 w

It's probably pretty basic to an experienced coder but maybe the fundamentals of that problem can be transferred to a more interesting project for your page. To get specifics on what it entails, watch the vid up to 26:22. It's basically about someone who took a northbound bus uptown to see a friend and he left his suitcase on the bus. Solving the problem involves writing a prog that imports the ElementTree library and parses an XML file, tracks all likely buses that may backtrack along their path, and gives a notification several minutes before a target bus returns to the bus stop. It seemed pretty boring at first, but it's got some possibilities, I think. If it's as efficient and easy to do as it seems, I may try adapting that prog to my situation by mass exporting my *.xlsx files to *.xml, and then parsing those and gleaning the poker hand info from those into a final *.txt format.
    That kind of thing had been mentioned to me before but, when I looked at the *.xml counterpart of a *.xlsx file, all I seen was what looked like some sort of machine code, instead of HTML looking tags. So, I must've been doing it wrong and I'll give it another try.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo