Thread: SMS with python

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SMS with python

Now Im finding a way to notify users of the completion of reports, besides the traditional popup message, and i find short messaging to be an effective method.

Just wondering, izzit possible to write a program to send a short message to a celphone? I spent sometime searching for a tutorial but didnt really found anything useful, can someone point me into the right direction? Thanks in advance.
    What can change the nature of a man?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi!

Maybe this one helps you (I didn't test it, just found it by googling a bin ): SMSMailer.py.

Regards, mawe
  5. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

If don't want to use a server, if you want to connect a mobile phone to a computer and send SMS that way then it can be simple or complicated - depending on what you want to do.

For some basic background to sending SMS you can look at my site
    SMS

Good SMS encoding is a big topic if you plan to send anything more than a "hello world" message over a mobile phone. For a start mobile phones use their own character set (almost the same as ASCII but it isn't) or handle UNICODE.

I have done a lot of work with Python and SMS both sending and receiving over serial ports. If there is any interest I could consider publishing my SMS modules.

grim
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I have done no work on Python -> SMS, so if you want to do that then I refer you to Grim Archon

However, a lot of cellular providers (e.g. as Orange (in the UK)) will let you have an email address of the form:

your_mobile_number@orange.net, and any email to that will be converted into an SMS message.

That way, it makes it a simple matter of sending an email from Python.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo