1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Solution required

Hello everybody,
    I have following situation, and would like some suggestions.
    There is one module called TrasnData and another module is ExecuteData.

Now ExecuteData accepts data as a sequence of { Key,Value } pair. So while calling it (from TransData module) i am creating Sequence and then passing it (to the module ExecuteData).

Now the problem is i have define those keys such that on the both modules they have same numerical value.

ExecuteData will access actual values as value = GetData (key).

In this way i have defined 4200 keys . Obviously it has become huge and unmanageable.

So i want some solution to achieve the same Key Value thing but without any need to declare them manually.

Please help me.

Thanks,
    Vikram Karandikar
  3. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

How are the "values" generated - where do they originally come from.

Are your key,value pairs in a separate file?

The external file could be an ordinary text file that both modules read or a python module they both import.

There is nothing to stop you from using Trandata to write a data module - updating it with new values. But perhaps it would be better to pickle the sequence each time a new value comes in and get Transdata to inform Execute Data that the pickle has changed and that it should redefine it's reference to the sequence.

You might find my ptypes module useful for this:
    http://www.peck.org.uk/p/python/
    It provides a sequence datatype with built in pickling that emulates lists and dictionaries.

grim

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo