Thread: Splash Screen

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Splash Screen

I was wondering if it is possible in tkinter to make a splash screen while the rest of the program loads, like Photoshop or The Gimp. One of my programs takes so long to load that it seems like it just doesn't work. This would not be good for users who don't know much about computers.

Thanks
  3. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

TKinter

Thats the problem with TKinter, its good for learning gui stuff (learned it for a while but then got bored, cant remember all that much about it now) but it look's really old and crappy, it's slower than other gui's, is missing alot of functionality which you can get with other gui's such as wxWindows, something i am hoping will replace TKinter as the gui packaged with Python its just that good. wxWindow alows you to create plash screans but it's somthing i have never seen of heard of being done in python.. you could search comp.lang.python on google (google groups), if its possible you should be able to find it here.

Hope this helps,

Have fun,
    Mark.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks alot for the help. I've managed to find a script that will display a splash screen. With this, i've tried to show an image. When I try to make a PhotoImage widget with splash.gif, I get a traceback saying that there is an error in the image. I know that this is not true, because it displays perfectly in all of the image editing programs I have. I've never used a photoimage widget before. Could someone tell me how to use it?
  7. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

You might need to convert the image into the PNG format. Up until recently GIFs were under a patent and the holder (Unisys) was very stringent about applications using their patented technology without paying, so people have tried to use PNGs instead.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks. I can get the image to display correctly now, so I'm fine in that area. But whenever I run the script, it locks up on me. I've attatched the script. It needs th PIL(I gave up on normal PhotoImages) and python 2.3.
    Attached Files
  11. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

wow

Wow, nice dependancies you got there. 2.3, PIL, customwidgets and pygame .

Wish i could help but i only have 2.2.2, PIL and pygame.

Good luck,
    Mark.
  13. No Profile Picture

oh, duh. How could i have been more stupid. The "customwidgets" module... here.

It's just a class. Kinda stupid on my part.

Netytan... yeah, i needed lots of different things, so lots of modules popped up to help.
    Attached Files

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo