1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Starting with Python as my first language

Hi, first time posting. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend some books for me that will help me learn Python? I've noticed that many programming books tend to assume that you have at least some understanding of a computer language so I really need help with this. I've never tried to learn programming before so whatever books you suggest needs to be plain and simple. Also some free resources would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

What are your interests?

Are you an aspiring mathematician?
    Hope to make your fortune in web site development?
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by b49P23TIvg
    What are your interests?

Are you an aspiring mathematician?
    Hope to make your fortune in web site development?
    Well I suck at maths to be honest and one day I would like to know how to make websites for sure, but for now I just want to learn how to make programs to understand how computers work better. Python seems to be a good place to start and I've actually already found a book through the sticky, A Bite of Python. I've just finished the 'Hello World' program which worked thankfully.
  7. Contributing User

Failed to identify your interests.

Congratulations. If you misunderstand some concept please read the documentation if you have some clue where to look
    docs.python.org
    and then when still stuck write to the forum and you may get a different perspective or specific advice.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You see...

I feel math and programming go hand by hand. They're both rational thinking based languages, and I think both of them are fun. The problem is the way they teach math in school, so then a lot of people say they really hate math. The fact that you say you're interested in programming and computers probably means that you're a rational person, and you don't like math because of the boring way its been taught to you, however, programming is very fun, and as long as you can think rationally I think you're good to go, regardless of your level of math.

Anyway, that's my own opinion and I use programming mostly for numerical analysis as I am an engineering student. So maybe that's the way my brain connects programming with stuff I already know like math.

If you're not a book person you can learn python by doing the online tutorials, or if you're a creative person I encourage you to try/invent your own programs and try to add more and more things, and use google and stuff to find out how to do these things. That's mostly the way I learn; I do a quick tutorial that teaches me the basic and then I start inventing/writing my own programs and finding new things, it is fun, and it works great for me.

If you're a book person you can try buying "Learning Python", the O'reilly one. It is a book that has everything, but I particularly didn't like it because it has very few exercises so it can get boring...

A good book out there to get anyone started into programming that costs about 7$ is called "Learning python in one day" or something like that. It is super basic and simple, but it is an interactive book that will teach you the most basic concepts of python.

Good luck .
  11. Contributing User

Using and experimenting with the language as you read is critical. You're doing that.

I'm not sure I could write useful programs without understanding mathematical concepts like
    counting
    sets
    vectors
    comparisons less than, equal.
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi guys, thanks for the encouragement! I find that I'm slowly starting to understand the basics now and I'll be sure to post here if I come across any problems. I'm not really that worried about the maths aspect, I know I'll get it eventually. I'm also following a few youtube video's on the subject which I find is really useful to help consolidate the information in the book.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo