1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unable to create a new document

Hi,

I have just joined this forum because of a brick wall problem. Please know that I have searched high and low for an answer before starting this thread.

Simply put, I am unable to create a new document. I click on the Python Launcher "File" tab but the "New" command is greyed out.

When I launch the Python Launcher the Preferences window is open.

I downloaded Python 3.3 earlier today and have never used the application before, nor have I done any programming other than HTML & CSS.

I am running OS X 10.8.2

I have installed both the Tcl and the Tk frameworks in the correct place, and have the same problem with the frameworks installed or not installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  3. Contributing User

This sounds like a problem with your IDE, not Python per se. What IDE are you using?
  5. No Profile Picture

Idle

Thanks for getting back to me.

By IDE I'm assuming, after a quick search, you mean Integrated Development Environment. I'm using IDLE. I have the TCL and TK Frameworks installed in Library> Frameworks.
    Last edited by Dodgerro; May 28th, 2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Update
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Dodgerro
    Thanks for getting back to me.

By IDE I'm assuming, after a quick search, you mean Integrated Development Environment. I'm sorry to say that I have no idea what IDE I'm using, or if I am at all. Is an IDE an app I have to install for Python to function, or is it part of the Python download?
    Well, Python is a programming language and as such, it doesnít have menus, menu entries or documents any more than the English language has. So, if your launcher opens up anything thatíll be an IDE. Unfortunately I donít have any idea what IDE you might have since to the best of my recollection I have never used OS X.
    My armada: openSUSE 13.1 (home desktop, home laptop), Crunchbang Linux 11 (work laptop), Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0.1 (mini laptop), Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (server), Android 4.2.1 (tablet), Windows 7 Ultimate (testbed)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Do you mean you can't key in any code in the window that is open? Note what is said above, that Python is a programming language, i.e. there aren't any "Documents" and it doesn't act like a word processor. If you can't key in any code or execute the code then it is probably a permissions problem.
    When I launch the Python Launcher the Preferences window is open.
    The Python launcher is most likely different than Idle, although I am not familiar with a Mac either. Try keying in "idle" or"Idle" on the ccommand line and see it that gets you any closer.
  11. No Profile Picture

Linking

I'm thinking that the IDE needs to be linked to the Python Launcher. If that's the case I'd really like to know how.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

No one else has had to do that so the problem is on your end. Idle is separate from the Python launcher. What happens when you key in idle on the command line?
  15. No Profile Picture

I really am a Nube and don't know how to do that.

My Tcl.framework and Tk.framework folders are located as follows:

Mackintosh HD > Library > Frameworks

And BTW, thanks to all who have been kind enough to help me so far.
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Dodgerro
    I really am a Nube and don't know how to do that.

My Tcl.framework and Tk.framework folders are located as follows:

Mackintosh HD > Library > Frameworks

And BTW, thanks to all who have been kind enough to help me so far.
    If you're really a noob don't use the Python Launcher at all. It's just extra compexity that you don't need. Mac's come with Python pre-installed, you should just find IDLE and run it.

I know nothing about macs so that's all I can do to help you except to point out that a quick search found many sites with info on how to use Python on a Mac. Try this one if you want to continue using the Launcher (whatever it is ):
    http://docs.python.org/2.7/using/mac.html
  19. No Profile Picture

Thanks Marbelous,

I'm still befuddled, but the link you gave me should sort it out. Lots of info I have to get my head around
  21. No Profile Picture

thanks again lads. I didn't manage to sort it out and went with Eclipse instead. little that I know, I really like it. If anyone is interested in working within Eclipse there is a very good installation video tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHRRiBHI3to

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo