1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using Python To Teach Young Kids?

Hi everyone,

I'm building an online learning platform to teach kids to code and I've decided to center it around Python.

We're talking YOUNG kids like 7-12 years old.

Some people have suggested that Python might be too complicated for kids that age, I disagree. What do you think?

I wanted to ask all of you what concepts you think I should cover in my intro to programming course aimed at 7-12 year olds... any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I've created a Kickstarter Campaign to get this project off the ground...any support would be appreciated! It just launched this morning and has no backers as of yet.

I'm a new member here and can't post links yet but if you search kickstarter for "Introz Academy" it'll pop right up.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Subscribing to thread

Most 7--12 year olds won't create the application of the decade, then again, most of us don't.

What projects might interest these youth?

Demonstrate the interactive nature of python. Not too helpful. Really, I'm just subscribing to the thread.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by b49P23TIvg
    Most 7--12 year olds won't create the application of the decade, then again, most of us don't.

What projects might interest these youth?

Demonstrate the interactive nature of python. Not too helpful. Really, I'm just subscribing to the thread.
    Maybe in a future, more advanced course, we could have them build some sort of app...but way before then I think we need to focus on core programming concepts...

What is a variable...

What is a loop...

what is an array...

...the absolute basics. What would your list of ABSOLUTE basics look like?
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

When I was a kid I taught myself to program. Variables and control structures are all well and good but if not for the desire and drive to code my own video game (the very first thing I did collaboratively with a classmate of mine) I don't know that I'd actually have taken much interest in the underlying concepts. Once I got the taste for it though I dove into those technical references. By the time I graduated (high school) in 1986 I knew not only BASIC and Pascal and FORTRAN but also enough Assembler to be dangerous. Get them interested first then bore them with the details. My $0.02
    medialint.com

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Python has the turtle module that should be fun to explore.

Also check a similar module called frog ...
    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/frog/0.87
    Last edited by Dietrich; June 10th, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
    Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Dietrich
    Python has the turtle module that should be fun to explore.

Also check a similar module called frog ...

NICE! Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo