1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

what all can you do with it?

Python seems like a great language because its powerful, but whats the full spectrum of its abilities? Can it do stuff like complex games and animated movies? Could you base an OS off of it? stuff like that because im trying to decide wether to learn this or JAVA.
  3. A wanna-be guru of some sort
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

You can do all kinds of things in Python, including mixing it with Java. This topic was already answered to several times, just search this forum and you'll find the answers.
    Am I supposed to sign here?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Python seems like a great language because its powerful, but whats the full spectrum of its abilities?
    It's Turing-complete.

Can it do stuff like complex games and animated movies?
    You could write a Chess game in it, yes. If you mean complex as in 3D graphics then on its own, probably not, no. Plugged into OS-dependant libraries written in other languages, such as PyGame, yes. To the same extent as some optimised C or C++ code like the Quake 3 engine or Valve's 'Source'? no.

Could you base an OS off of it?
    Some people are trying to. But don't let this bother you, you wouldn't base an OS on many popular and useful languages (C#, VB, VB.Net, Javascript, Perl). Languages good for OS design have different priorities to languages good for daily high-level use, such as working with memory blocks and directly accessing buffers and hardware interfaces.

stuff like that because im trying to decide wether to learn this or JAVA.
    If you lean Java first, then Python will seem like a breath of fresh air.

If you learn Python first, then Java will seem like a wordy, pedantic, awkward mess. :-p
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks so i'll learn JAVA then Python(maybe Jython) and move on from there
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

But what if you look at Java, discover it's a verbose, finicky language and give up? Then you'll never get to Python, which would be terrible when you're so close now.

11. A wanna-be guru of some sort

Originally Posted by sfb
    But what if you look at Java, discover it's a verbose, finicky language and give up? Then you'll never get to Python, which would be terrible when you're so close now.
    There's some truth in there... I started with Python and moved on to Java. And although I use Java all the time, I also complain all the time about Java not being as simple and clear as Python. I think that for a complete programming beginner, there is no better language than Python to start with.
    Am I supposed to sign here?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo