1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What's hot now in Python?

Hi!

I'm an editor of Software Developer's Journal and I'm responsible for Python programming issue. So I registered to use some of your knowledge, if you don't mind.

I have some articles for next issue of SDJ but I need some guidence - what's hot now in Python? What do you guys do specifically? That is - in Python or Django or something close to its? I'd love to hear some of your ideas so I can search them for my own and get my authors some info.

I will be very grateful for your help. Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SDJ_Kieves
    Hi!

I'm an editor of Software Developer's Journal and I'm responsible for Python programming issue. So I registered to use some of your knowledge, if you don't mind.

I have some articles for next issue of SDJ but I need some guidence - what's hot now in Python? What do you guys do specifically? That is - in Python or Django or something close to its? I'd love to hear some of your ideas so I can search them for my own and get my authors some info.

I will be very grateful for your help. Thanks in advance!
    Pycon Canada is happening in a couple weeks. When someone puts the videos online they would probably give you a good idea of whats happening with python.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Good News
    Pycon Canada is happening in a couple weeks. When someone puts the videos online they would probably give you a good idea of whats happening with python.
    Thanks! I'm following PyCon Canada. As well as PyCon Ireland (in fact SDJ and PyCon Ireland cooperating in some fields.

Look, I have some topics from my authors and want yours opinnion. Maybe I can post its so you can write me back if that's somehow interresting?

- Making web development simpler with Python
    - Timing Python scripts with timeit
    - Programming Python for Web with WSGI

Tell me what do you think of that?
  7. No Profile Picture

I'm sorry I can't answer for your PMs due to my short time here on the forum. Could you all write down your e-mail addresses in your PMs to me? That way I could answer.

I released a teaser with free article of Rob Martin 'Building a code instrumentation library with Python and ZeroMQ'. You can download it via Software Developer's Journal website (post is called 'PYTHON IN A FEW LINES OF CODES – TEASER, DOWNLOAD FOR FREE!!!').

This newbie restrictions of using forum are really annoying.
  9. No Profile Picture

Ok guys! We released two Python issues already and I want you to write down your opinnion about it if possible. All is here, with table of contents and other stuff: http:/ /sdjournal.org / 3pack-pythons-buy-for-60-dollars/
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SDJ_Kieves
    Ok guys! We released two Python issues already and I want you to write down your opinnion about it if possible. All is here, with table of contents and other stuff: http:/ /sdjournal.org / 3pack-pythons-buy-for-60-dollars/
    $60 for 3 e-mags is shooting pretty high, can't say I'd spend that and have no clue what I'm even getting.
  13. No Profile Picture

So there are a tables of contents:

Python StarterKit:
    - Mohit Saxena, Python Guide for Beginners
    Python is an easy and powerful programming language. It has highly efficient data structures with object-oriented programming approach. Its neat syntax and dynamic typing makes it more efficient. It is the best programming language for rapid application development for many platforms.

- Sotaya Yakubu, Starting with Python
    Python is an interpreted language and features dynamic system with an automatic memory management. It can be used as a full fledged language, or integrated as a scripting language in another such as C, Java e.t.c The language itself is not limited to a specific programming paradigm, different styles of coding can be used in this language such as; Imperative, Object-oriented, functional and procedural styles.

- Alberto Paro, Beginning with Django
    What are the success keys for a web framework? Is it easy to use? Is it easy to deploy? Does it provide user satisfaction? Django framework is more that these answers because, in my opinion, is one of the few framework that is able to hit its goal: it “makes it easier to build better Web apps more quickly and with less code”.

- Anton Sipos, Better Django Unit Testing Using Factories instead of Fixtures
    Unit testing is the key practice for improving software quality. Even though most of us agree with this in principle, all too often when things get difficult programmers end up skipping writing tests. We end up being pragmatic rather than principled, especially when deadlines are involved.

- Renato Candido, Python Fabric
    Fabric is a Python library and command-line tool for automating tasks of application deployment and system administration via SSH. It provides tools for executing local and remote shell commands and for transferring files through SSH and SFTP, respectively.

- W. Matthew Wilson, Python logging module
    So I’m forcing myself to use logging in every script I do, no matter how trivial it is, so I can getcomfortable with the python standard library logging module. So far, I’m really happy with it.I’ll start with a script that uses print statements and revise it a few times and show off how logging is a better solution.

- Steve Lott, Python, Web Security and Django
    Two of the pillars of security are Authentication (who are you?) and Authorization (what are you allowed to do?). Best security practice is never to store a password that can be easily recovered. A hash can be undone eventually, but encryption means all passwords are exposed once the encryption key is available.

- George Psarakis, Building a console 2-player chess board game in Python
    Python is a very powerful language particularly for writing server-side backend scripts, although one can also use it for web development tasks through the Django framework and it is gaining popularity in that field as well. A very thorough and complete documentation, the huge variety of libraries and open-source projects – easily installed with the package managers and the huge knowledge base in Q&A sites like StackOverflow and mailing lists are among the main characteristics to which the widespread use of Python can be attributed to.

- Adam Nelson, Write a Web App and Learn Python
    A ‘framework’ is a set of tools and libraries that facilitates the development of a certain type of application. Web frameworks facilitate the development of web applications by allowing languages like Python or Ruby to take advantage of standard methods to complete tasks like interacting with HTTP payloads, or tracking users throughout a site, or constructing basic HTML pages. Leveraging this scaffolding, a developer can focus on creating a web application instead of doing a deep dive on HTTP internals and other lower-level technologies.

- Yves J. Hilpisch, Efficient Data and Financial Analytics with Python
    Decision makers and analysts being faced with such an environment cannot rely anymore on traditional approaches to process data or to make decisions. In the past, these areas where characterized by highly structured processes which were repeated regularly or when needed.

- Josh VanderLinden, Test-Driven Development With Python
    Software development is easier and more accessible now than it ever has been. Unfortunately, rapid development speeds offered by modern programming languages make it easy for us as programmers to overlook the possible error conditions in our code and move on to other parts of a project. Automated tests can provide us with a level of certainty that our code really does handle various situations the way we expect it to, and these tests can save hundreds upon thousands of man-hours over the course of a project’s development lifecycle.

- Saad Bin Akhlaq, Python Interetors
    Python makes a distinction between iterables and iterators, it is quite essential to know the difference between them. Iterators are stateful objects they know how far through their sequence they are. Once they reach their thats is it. Iterables are able to create iterators on demand. Itertool modules includes a set of functions for working with iterable datasets.

Python In a Few Lines of Codes:
    - Douglas Camata, Philosophy of Python

Python’s language begun its history in the late 1980’s, when it was conceived. Guido van Rossum, its creator and principal author, started the implementation in December 1989, at CWI. Guido’s who makes all decisions about the direction of Python and, because of that, he’s called by the community, Benevolent Dictator for Life.

- Rob Martin, Building a code instrumentation library with Python and ZeroMQ

Like many people, I confused the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle with the Observer Effect. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle asserts that we cannot accurately measure pairs of physical properties of particles. That is, if we know one value, the other is unknowable. This is best illustrated by the story of Heisenberg being pulled over by a police officer. The officer asks Heisenberg if he knows how fast he was driving. No, but I know where I am, says Heisenberg. The officer says, Sir, you were driving 76 miles per hour. Heisenberg replies, Great. Now I’m lost.

- Agam Dua, Model Forms in Django – A Tutorial with a Perspective on Workflow Enhancement

The Django web framework for Python offers an extremely intuitive way to make forms by drawing straight from the models of the application. This makes the whole process of generating and rendering forms a breeze and also allows an excellent workflow for the developer. This article describes the process of developing these forms with an emphasis on enhancement to the workflow.

- Rehman Danish Fazlur, How to develop programs in a few lines of codes

Imagine you have an application where a certain number of external api calls are made. We do not know which vendors gives the result first but its a bad habit to make the user wait with no results on the page. So what do we do? As soon as I find the first pinch of result I push it to the user. How is python doing it?

- Renato Oliveira, The web framework and the deadline part 1 (Introduction)

Based on the philosophy of DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself), Django is a little different than other MVC frameworks in that views are called templates and controllers are called views thus representing Django as an MTV framework. It may not seem like it, but it makes a difference and as they say: “talk is cheap, show me the code!”.

- Renato Oliveira, The web framework and the deadline part 2

So, now your client wants a page for each product, showing name, description, category and photo. You have to prepare some codes for him and now you can do it right way!

- Klaus Laube, Programming Python for Web with WSGI

Plug Python with some nice libraries, like Django or Flask, and you will have an awesome set of tools for your Web Project. These solutions grant you a powerful and well tested platform, with minimum (as possible) complexity. Writing applications for Web with these frameworks is very easy, but it was not always so.

- Michael D’Agosta, Django and Tornado: Python Web Frameworks

Long ago it was enough to put together some ‘server pages’ and attach them to a database, and you had a website. These days, the web is complex, dynamic and it takes a lot of infrastructure to get a website living and breathing on the internet. Fortunately nobody has to write this from scratch anymore, since there are many frameworks in many languages to provide the foundation needed to bring up a website.

- Jader Silva, Leon Waldman, Vinicius Miana, Python WebApps – from zero to live

Python is an extremely versatile and powerful programming language. In this article, we will present how to setup your development environment, framework options for developing web-services and web applications using Python and a tutorial on how to develop a simple web application that consumes web services.

- Florian Bergmann, IronPython – a scripting language for the .NET framework

IronPython is an implementation of the Python programming language that runs on the CLR, or – to be more specific – on the DLR. The greatest impact this has on the Python code running via IronPython is, that it can access the .NET framework for additional functionality.

- Lawrence D’Oliveiro, Conditional Expressions In Python

There are two fundamental styles of programming, which can both be used across a wide variety of high-level languages, whether you call them “object-oriented” or not. That is: procedural and functional.

- Anubhav Sinha, Secure Authentication in Python

Popular frameworks like Django do have built-in authentication systems, but if you want to go for something like Flask or Webapp2, these ‘micro-frameworks’ do not have out of the box solutions for a login/logout system. This tutorial will tell you how to build an easy to use Django style authentication system for Webapp2/Flask.

- Douglas Suarez de Andrade, Making web development simpler with Python

Python has been attracting a lot of attention in the last years as it is an easy to learn, powerful and feature-rich programming language that is particularly helping several web developers to deliver better code in less time – in this article, we will talk about some web micro frameworks and some newer tools to ease the web developer job.

- Daniel Zohar, Timing Python scripts with timeit

The most intuitive way to measure code execution time in any programming language is the same method that we would use with any real life action. We would take the time before an action has started, then again after it’s finished, and subtract the difference to find the duration. In Python, the current timestamp (in seconds) can be retrieved using time.time().

- Interview with Mikhail Berman from DevExperts

We believe in technical excellence in everything. We have a very talented and efficient team of highly skilled engineers. We not only develop the stuff but also maintain it and therefore have a good experience of issues that our clients are facing in different situations, we know how to support their business growth with the IT solutions and so on.

And there's a free teaser with Rob Martin's article: http: // sdjournal.org/python-in-a-few-lines-of-codes-teaser-download-for-free/
  15. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Please proofread and repair Saad Bin Akhlaq's "Python Interetors" article. The spelling blocks comprehension.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo