1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Xubuntu python question

hi
    i was just wondering i have a button script.py that i have created a keyboard short cut to open it, witch is good but is there a way in python to make the script open under the mouse pointer?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/add-application-shortcuts-to-your-desktop-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture

b49P23TIvg

hi buddy

there are two things i never talk about unity and windows 8 lol
    unity desktop icon that isn't even cool lol
    and xubuntu is xface not unity lol

the idea is to not have to move, dig through or close what is on your desktop to open something. or have to move very far to open the things you use the most. xface has the right click menu but the first menu is none editable and you have to click on the desktop it's self.

my solution was to create a button menu window in python and use a keyboard short cut to open it <super>x and it opens on top of everything else in the centre of the screen, perfect lol you helped me with part of the programming.

do you remember way back when they had the mouse pointer with the cat chasing it any where you moved the mouse, i was just wondering if there was something in python that when a script starts it would position the button menu window under the mouse pointer?
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

I remember my introduction to x11 was a program to control someone else's mouse pointer. Fun fun! I had a DECStation with the display postscript extension I used to draw fireworks on the root window. And I used xearth on root for quite a while.

I've now got a mish-mosh of unity, gnome shell, and cairo-dock. Since I live in emacs it doesn't matter a whole lot. Don't recall when I found a session manager with multiple screens but I've still got it and I like them. Multiple displays don't help me a whole lot.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  9. No Profile Picture

my oldest daughter is 14 and she has a laptop running ubuntu 10.04 and i would ssh into it and start x11vnc server that way i could take over her mouse , start things, type while she was typing. i did it to her 2 or 3 times and finally she brought it to me and said dad there is something wrong with my computer and i said what is it doing she said it's acting stooped lol

i had to tell her it was me lol and showed her what i was doing, i told her someone is always watching lol

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo