1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ZCoin - A P2P Crypto Currency Written in Python

This was recently released on the Python section of Hack Forums, thought you guys might be interested in it as well
    The original thread can be found here: hackforums.net/showthread.php?tid=3871588
    however a HF account is needed

Version 0.1.56

About

Today I preset to you zCoin, a P2P crypto currency that utilizes a Peer to Peer network.

The current difficulty for mining is at 7, the lowest it will ever be.

If you are interested in zCoin head over to github.com/Max00355/zCoin

Read the Readme to get started and start mining yourself

Tell me what you think, any suggestions/modifications are welcome.

FAQ

Q: My miner says that I have a time out error, what does this mean?
    A: When you run a miner, or a coin submitting script, the relay nodes themselves can not keep up with the output of your miner. To prevent corrution the relay nodes prevent any further connection. Simply run the script again, or set a time limit in between each coin being sent.

Q: How do I submit coin hashes that other people have given me?
    A: Put your coins in coins.txt and run this script pastebin.com/m5gFBDA7

Q: My miner just shows "{'difficulty': 7}", what does that mean?
    A: That's a great sign! That means that your node is mining! Now just leave it to it's work.

Q: Everyone else has coins except for me, why?
    A: Coins are generated based on computing power and luck. Again, just give it time.

Q: I gave it time, my miner even says that I mined a coin but my balance didn't go up.
    A: Ah, you just aren't synced with the network. A simple restart should fix the problem. If you are a relay node become a normal node again (if you don't know what that means don't worry about it)

Q: My database is broken! What do I do?
    A: In the 0.1.56 + This shouldn't be a problem; HOWEVER, if you are having this problem, and you are a relay node, then it means that your computer can not handle being a relay node. The only way to fix the problem in this case would be to become a normal node again then restart your zcoin.py file with the the following command
    Code:
    python zcoin.py -fixdb

If you are already a normal node and you are getting this error open your shell and type "fixdb"

Q: My total coins is different from someone else's totalcoins.
    A: Sometimes nodes get lost, just restart your node. When in doubt restart!

Stats

Coins in existence: 4420

Contributions

Pillows - Supplied the two god node servers, thanks dude
    SoulByte - Found an exploit in the send_coin function
    ImportUsername - Helped spread zCoin through reddit, thanks man
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

How does zCoin compare with bitCoin? bitCoin apparently is so hard to mine you cannot pay your computer's electric bill unless you run on the GPU, and the GPU's are now dwarfed by custom ASICs.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by b49P23TIvg
    How does zCoin compare with bitCoin? bitCoin apparently is so hard to mine you cannot pay your computer's electric bill unless you run on the GPU, and the GPU's are now dwarfed by custom ASICs.
    zCoin is quite new (about a week), so the mining is at its easiest right now, and with an average computer you could probably mine between 5 and 10 zCoins in an hour with the given miner. If the code was edited to make use of the GPU, you could do better than that.

Another difference with bitCoin is that mining zCoins isn't doing work for the zCoin network, but rather just hashing values looking for coins. The network is run by 2 god nodes and any person that sets their config file to allow them to be a relay node (and port forwards).

Also at the moment there are no complete zCoin exchanges, so they are essentially worthless at the moment. A user on HackForums is selling zCoins for $0.01 each (he has about 2000 zCoins). The original creator is adding a GUI and making it into an EXE so that it can be available to people without python.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by b49P23TIvg
    What is different about zCoin in terms of mining difficulty is that the difficulty scales to the amount of coins, not the time that it takes to mine coins. That means that there won't be difficulty spikes and that it will take the generation of coins to make the difficulty harder.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ImportUsername
    zCoin is quite new (about a week), so the mining is at its easiest right now, and with an average computer you could probably mine between 5 and 10 zCoins in an hour with the given miner. If the code was edited to make use of the GPU, you could do better than that.

Another difference with bitCoin is that mining zCoins isn't doing work for the zCoin network, but rather just hashing values looking for coins. The network is run by 2 god nodes and any person that sets their config file to allow them to be a relay node (and port forwards).

Also at the moment there are no complete zCoin exchanges, so they are essentially worthless at the moment. A user on HackForums is selling zCoins for $0.01 each (he has about 2000 zCoins). The original creator is adding a GUI and making it into an EXE so that it can be available to people without python.

Elaborating on this, the two god nodes are just nodes to help a new zCoin node get started and play no different role in the network. They are just normal nodes hosted by volunteers. Relay nodes are nodes that are found by new nodes that are relaying the database information to those who are unable to receive it in real time.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo