1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Zobe Newbie Question

Hi

I have downloaded Zobe un to my Win2k machine and been working through the tutorials, examples, etc. It looks great.

One question though (sorry if this is really stupid but couldn't find it anywhere) How do I actually transfer the created zope application, files/folders, etc to my web space - its hosted by an ISP?

There must be a way of doing this surely.

Thanks

Kevin
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Your web host must have a zope instance installed for you to add what you have created up.

All you need to do is go to the root folder (of what you have created) and then click on the import/export button (the button will vary depending on what version of ZOPE you have). Then export the file to your hard drive. you then have to upload that file to the web server and in the zope instance there import that file

wabirdman
    Real programmers code in binary
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi

Thanks for that but I am having difficulty finding a Reseller Hosting Plan that includes Zope - I posted a message on a hosting forum some weeks ago asking for a host but as yet no reply.

My current hosting company supports Python but I think not Zope

It seems a pity because Zope does look good but without widespread hosting support it really is not much use

Yours

Kevin
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That is the problem I found as well. We host our own sites here at work so we dont have that problem. There is one called

http://freezope.org but I am not sure if you can have your own domain, I think you can only have a subdomain

wabirdman
    Real programmers code in binary
  9. No Profile Picture

freezope has addon features (at a price - but that's cool) I thing one of them is a domain name outside of freezope.org
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi cprosser.

This feature seems to just points a domain name at the freezope domain. So you still build the web site under the freezope handle Expensive for $30 per year - you can almost get full hosting of your own domain for that not just redirection.

Free hosting is ok but is usually performance poor and/or splattered with ads - it is not a way to go if you are looking at building anything other than a test or personal web site.

Its a great idea if you want to learn zope and build your web site, but where do you go after it has finished? It seems few hosting companies support Zope and those that do tend to charge a lot.

Zope is dead unless there is universal hosting. Imagine how it would be if few hosting companies supported PHP or Mysql - do you think these great tools would be as popular as they are?

Yours

Kevin
  13. No Profile Picture

I don't think zope is dead at all. I agree it would be really nice if there were a shared hosting provider supporting zope. But I seems to me its geared for larger sites anyway. I think its an excellent solution for a company if they can at a min. afford an virtual-dedicated server or application hosting plan.

MO take it for $0.02 ( or less ...)
  15. No Profile Picture

The hosts can get the thing for free, why do you think there is no much support for Zope hosting ?!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe it is resource intensive, has security holes, or maybe there is just too little demand for it.

Does anyone actually use Zope? There seems very little posts on this forum

Yours

Kevin

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo