1. Junior Member
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Just geeting started

Hello everyone,

I know this has probley been posted a million times. But i want to learn programing and everyone is pointing me to python to learn first. I have picked up a book and started to read. And i am woundering if python is the route to go. In the long run i want to make my own OS. But i know it is going to take years before i am ready to do it. And also that i should use C or C++ for it. I am just trying to go in the right direction. Thanks in advance for all the help that everyone can give me.

Lotec25
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sure, python is arguably the best language to learn beginning programming concepts with. Google for python tutorials and be enlightened
  5. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Gotta agree with Strike; Pythons a great language for beginners... and experianced programmers alike!

Python = DevSpeed + (Power + Elegance)

need i say more? This said Python wont get you a lot of jobs... but it will get you great jobs! And you'll have alot of fun with it!!!

As for learning C/C++ pythons syntax is very different, if you deside to go the C/C++ rout then i'd pick up perl first

Have fun,

Mark.

P.S Nice ambition; mine is to write a small language or my own!
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Even if you want to learn C/C++ later, DO NOT LEARN PERL. Syntax is a minor thing when it comes to programming, and learning a crappy language with a syntax similar to C/C++ will make you worse off.
  9. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Oh i dont know about that Strike, i started off by learning perl then moves onto PHP then a little C/C++ stuff... working with those other languages only made me appreciate Python more

And making the transistion from a C based language to C/C++ has gotta be easier than coming from somwhere else; if only for little things like closing lines and using curly brackets around blocks.

As for good programming, i back Python all the way, i've learned so much from it... it's just an awsum language!

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

11. Junior Member

Hey,

Thanks for all the replies. Ill keep reading and see where it takes me. As far as jobs i dont want to make money from it. I just want to do if for myself. Build a couple OSes sooner or later. Onced again thanks for all the replies.

Lotec25
  13. onCsdfeu

If you're not looking necessarily for a job then yeah, go for Python all the way but if you're to create your own OS some time, then learn C thoroughly as well as a bit of assembly.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo