1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need recommendations for new Python install

Greets,

Well all the regulars here know I'm not a programmer.And in my short experience with Python,I have picked up alot of Python related apps.Just got another computer,and I'm going to install Python on it,and I was just wondering what the pros would recommend.I don't want to install everything I got,if one or two of them would do the trick.I am running WinXP on the new machine and I have installers for:

Python 2.3
    Active Python 2.3.2
    wxPythonWIN32-2.4.2
    Python Card Prototype 0.7.2
    PyWin32-200

Any recommendations or advise would be greatly appreciated!
    It is not important if the glass is half full or half empty.What is important,is who has been drinking from MY glass?!?!?
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Personally, you should download Python 2.3.3 which has a few bugfixes from 2.3.2

http://www.python.org/2.3.3/

On top of that, you can also optionally download and install Mark Hammond's Windows Specific packages, even if you don't plan to do any COM programming, simply because he provides a pretty nice Windows editor (Pythonwin) for python. You can find a link to his extensions (win32all) in the above link. I would recommend downloading and installing python 2.3.2 and win32all for sure.

The rest of the stuff is optional. WxPython is pretty decent if you plan to do some relatively cross platform GUI programming. Otherwise, it is not needed at all. There are other cross platform GUI packages for python (for example, Python/Tkinter, PyQT, PythonCard etc. --- Tkinter is actually installed with Python as the default GUI toolkit), wxPython is one of the best IMHO. The latest version is 2.5.1 though, so you might want to get the latest, if you plan to use wxPython for GUI programming. If you're just learning, you can leave the downloading of wxPython for later. PythonCard is another GUI package that is supposed to be very nice, but it works on top of wxPython. So if you install PythonCard, you'll be needing wxPython anyways.
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; May 6th, 2004 at 01:33 AM.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you in GUI programming, I suggest Boa Constructor, of course it needs wxPython, I helps a lot.
  7. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Basically if you just make sure you have the most up to date versions of the packages you're using then you should be fine. Definatly get Python 2.3.3 since that ones about as important as you can get .

A couple of good modules you can search for on google:

PIL
    SQLite
    MySQLdb
    Win32All
    Numpy

Take care,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

9. Contributing User

Sorry for the delay in replying,but thank you for the advise guys!It is most appreciated!
    It is not important if the glass is half full or half empty.What is important,is who has been drinking from MY glass?!?!?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo